Manchester United news: Ruben Amorim "not good enough" claims Jamie Carragher as transfer disagreements emerge

Carragher slams Amorim as "not good enough" to be boss amid transfer question

Jamie Carragher has claimed that Ruben Amorim is not good enough to be manager of Manchester United, and argued that he can have no complaints about the club's hierarchy.

United were held by Leeds United at Elland Road on Sunday, drawing 1-1 after initially trailing, and that result has left the club three points behind fourth-placed Liverpool in the Premier League table.

That was also the eighth time in 11 top-flight matches that the Red Devils failed to win, and the displays of the team have been concerning.

Amorim has recently hinted at tension behind the scenes, with the Portuguese complaining about his role as a head coach rather than a manager.

However, pundit Carragher insisted that Amorim is lucky to have a job in the first place, telling Sky Sports: "I don't think he is in any position whatsoever to be questioning the people who appointed him.

"He's not good enough. He's not good enough to be Manchester United's manager. He's barely competent enough to be a Premier League manager right now.

"[Amorim's gripes] can only be two things. It can either be about the January transfer market, that he's not being backed, or the people above him are questioning that he's flip-flopping between systems."

The United manager's relationship with sporting director Jason Wilcox is said to be particularly tense, and it would not be surprising if major changes were soon made.

Is Jamie Carragher right about Ruben Amorim?

It is not unfair to argue that Amorim does not have a long-term future at Old Trafford considering he has consistently failed to impress.

The 40-year-old guided the Red Devils to their lowest ever finish in the Premier League (15th) with their lowest ever points return (42) in 2024-25, and he also lost the Europa League final against Tottenham Hotspur in May 2025.

Many supporters voiced their concern heading into the 2025-26 season, arguing that United should look to make a change before the beginning of the campaign, but the club instead spent nearly £220m on new arrivals.

Bryan Mbeumo, Matheus Cunha and Benjamin Sesko were the club's marquee additions, but the forwards have only scored 11 goals combined in the top flight this term.

Amorim's failure to maximise his new attackers is yet another mark against him, and the evidence that he can get the most out of the squad at his disposal is limited.

Why is Ruben Amorim unhappy with Man United?

Ruben Amorim is reportedly unhappy with the transfer policy of the club, with the manager said to have wanted to sign more experienced players in summer 2025.

The club had been linked to goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez and striker Ollie Watkins, who are now 33 and 30 respectively, but the Red Devils instead signed Senne Lammens and Benjamin Sesko.

Lammens has proven to be an upgrade on previous goalkeeper Andre Onana, though the bar that his predecessor had set was not particularly high.

Watkins has only scored seven Premier League goals this term, and has looked far from the striker of previous seasons.

It is difficult to know if bringing in more experienced stars would have improved United's fortunes, but if there is such a disparity between the club's board and Amorim in regard to transfers, then it is hard to see their relationship continuing for much longer.

Author photo

Written by

Share this article:
Subscribe to our newsletter

Get FREE daily news and in-depth previews for games from the biggest leagues and competitions in world football — straight to your inbox.

Subscribe