There were plenty of things to like about Lyon's first performance under Blanc, and facing a Montpellier side who are also in disarray could be just the ticket for Les Gones to end their winless habit.
It is always difficult to predict the outcome of matches where two newly-hired managers pit their wits against one another, but the firepower at Blanc's disposal could see him come out on top over Montpellier's Pitau, whose own difference makers in the final third can spark an intriguing contest.
Our analysis of all available data, including recent performances and player stats up until an hour before kickoff, suggested the most likely outcome of this match was a Lyon win with a probability of 54.09%. A win for Montpellier HSC had a probability of 24.3% and a draw had a probability of 21.6%.
The most likely scoreline for a Lyon win was 1-2 with a probability of 9.63%. The next most likely scorelines for that outcome were 0-2 (7.5%) and 0-1 (7.49%). The likeliest Montpellier HSC win was 2-1 (6.17%), while for a drawn scoreline it was 1-1 (9.62%). The actual scoreline of 1-2 was predicted with a 9.6% likelihood. Our team at Sports Mole and our data analysis both correctly predicted a 1-2 win for Lyon in this match.