Aug 3, 2013 at 3pm UK at ​Dean Court
CharltonCharlton Athletic
Grabban (26', 66')
Kermorgant (26')
FT(HT: 1-0)
Kermorgant (49')
Arter (90')
Pritchard (84')

Result: Lewis Grabban double downs 10-man Charlton Athletic

Result: Grabban double downs 10-man Charlton
© PA Photos
Lewis Grabban scores a brace as Bournemouth secure an opening-day victory over Charlton Athletic at Dean Cross.

Lewis Grabban bagged a double as Bournemouth secured an opening-day victory in the Championship with a 2-1 win against 10-man Charlton Athletic at the Goldsands Stadium.

Despite the home advantage, it was Bournemouth who came under most pressure in the opening exchanges, with Addicks forward Marvin Sordell coming within inches of marking his debut with a goal by heading over from a corner.

Ten minutes would elapse before Cherries boss Eddie Howe would see his team create their first opportunity, but debutant Mohamad Coulibaly shot narrowly wide from the edge of the box.

However, the Cherries would not have long to wait to see their first goal of the new campaign, with striker Grabban heading home Harry Arter's cross on 26 minutes.

Arter, who enjoyed a two-year spell with the Addicks, came close to piling further misery on his former club four minutes later, but his long-range effort was well held by Charlton goalkeeper Ben Hamer.

Chris Powell's men restored parity three minutes after the restart through Yann Kermogrant, whose acrobatic volley proved too good for Ryan Allsop.

The Addicks were not level for long, though, as Grabban spun his marker on the edge of the area before unleashing an unstoppable shot past Hamer to grab his and his team's second of the afternoon.

The visitors came agonisingly close to getting back on level terms once more, with Cherries defender Elliot Ward producing a goal-line clearance to deny Bradley Pritchard an equaliser.

Things went from bad to worse for Pritchard, who was dismissed moments later for a dangerous challenge on Bournemouth's Ryan Fraser.

The Addicks pushed for an equaliser despite their numerical disadvantage throughout the six minutes of stoppage time, but the hosts held on and marked their return to England's second tier with a win.

Share this article now:
Bournemouth's Harry Arter in action against Bury on March 23, 2013
Read Next:
Half-Time Report: Grabban header gives Bournemouth the lead
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole

Loading ...

Failed to load data.

FA Cup
Scottish Premiership
Scottish Challenge Cup
La Liga
Serie A
Ligue 1
League One
Segunda Division
Serie B
Liga MX
Uruguayan Primera Division
Belgian Pro League
Greek Superleague
Indian I-League
Primeira Liga
Turkish Super Lig

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Transfer Talk Daily
Match previews - twice weekly
Morning Briefing (7am UTC)
Ultra close-up image of Kevin De Bruyne [NOT FOR USE IN ARTICLES]Get the latest transfer news, match previews and news direct to your inbox!
1Manchester CityMan City27233179205972
2Manchester UnitedMan Utd27175551193256
5Tottenham HotspurSpurs27157552242852
8Leicester CityLeicester2798103940-135
12West Ham UnitedWest Ham2779113446-1230
13Newcastle UnitedNewcastle2777132536-1128
14Brighton & Hove AlbionBrighton27610112236-1428
15Crystal Palace2769122542-1727
16Swansea CitySwansea2776142037-1727
17Huddersfield TownHuddersfield2776142347-2427
19Stoke CityStoke2767142753-2625
20West Bromwich AlbionWest Brom27311132140-1920
Login, I already have my ad-free pass
Log in with Facebook to customise Sports Mole
Buy ad-free access (show me the options)
Buy monthly ad-free access for £1.20/month
Buy yearly ad-free access for £12 (2 months free)
Settings - Logout - Manage your account
Settings - Logout - Manage your account