MX23RW : Wednesday, August 10 17:59:40| >> :600:214387:214387:

League One roundup: Gillingham beat Wigan Athletic to go top

Sports Mole rounds up Saturday's action in League One as Gillingham move top of the table with victory over Wigan Athletic.

Gillingham sit on top of the League One table this evening, ahead of Walsall on goal difference, following victories for both sides in today's matches.

Gillingham's Bradley Dack scored his fourth and fifth goals in five games to hand his side a 2-0 win over Wigan Athletic.

The 21-year-old striker slotted home after 37 minutes to give Gillingham the lead, making sure of the three points with an 82nd-minute penalty.

Walsall ended Coventry City's unbeaten League One run, winning 2-1 at the Bescot Stadium.

Anthony Forde gave Walsall the lead in the 40th minute, firing past Lee Burge after a through ball from Milan Lalkovic.

Lalkovic's parried shot early in the second half was converted by Tom Bradshaw for his fifth goal in four games to make it 2-0 to Walsall.

A 30-yard strike from substitute Jacob Murphy brought Coventry back into the tie at 2-1, but the Sky Blues were unable to level the scoreline despite an excellent late chance for Bryn Morris who shot wide from close range.

A thrilling 3-3 draw was played out at Gresty Road between Crewe Alexandra and Bury.

Crewe took an early lead against Bury through Swansea loanee Adam King, who was on hand to steer Bradden Inman's ball past Christian Walton.

Crewe keeper Jack Garratt then made a double save to deny both Tom Pope and Danny Rose, before Bury equalised through Danny Mayor.

Rose thought he had put Bury in front after 26 minutes after heading in Pope's cross, but he was flagged offside.

Ryan Colclough gave the Railwaymen the lead in the 37th minute, only to see Bury's Tom Soares level the scores again just before half time.

Rose did give Bury the lead after 57 minutes, though Crewe again levelled the scores at 3-3 after 80 minutes from a solo Inman effort.

Doncaster keeper Thorsten Stuckmann saved a Sam Foley penalty after 11 minutes, though the Port Vale midfielder did manage to beat Stuckmann with a 35th-minute header into the top corner from a Carl Dickinson cross.

Second-half strikes from on-loan Watford forward Uche Ikpeazu and Byron Moore saw the Valiants run out 3-0 winners.

Jimmy Ryan gave Fleetwood Town the lead against Colchester with a 25-yard effort after 24 minutes, before David Ball deflected effort put the Cod Army 2-0 up moments later.

Jamie Proctor scored early in the second half before Jamille Matt's 86th-minute strike wrapped up the points with a 4-0 victory over Colchester United.

Burton Albion overcame Peterborough United 2-1 thanks to goals from Nasser El Khayati and Stuart Beavon.

Posh's Marcus Maddison got one goal back on 67 minutes, before Jermaine Anderson saw what would have been an equalising goal disallowed seconds before the final whistle.

Second-half strikes from Billy Sharp and substitute Marc McNulty handed Sheffield United a 2-0 win over Blackpool.

French forward Fabien Robert's 63rd-minute goal was enough for Swindon Town to record a 1-0 away victory against Southend United.

Oldham Athletic played out a 1-1 draw with Shrewsbury Town at the Sports Direct Park.

Club captain Liam Kelly converted a 52nd-minute penalty to put Oldham ahead before James Collins struck the leveller for Shrewsbury after 70 minutes.

Scunthorpe United's Irish striker Paddy Madden drove a second-half penalty wide as their tie with Millwall ended 0-0.

Elsewhere, there were also goalless draws between both Barnsley and Bradford City, and Chesterfield and Rochdale.

Results in full: Barnsley 0-0 Bradford City, Burton Albion 2-1 Peterborough United, Chesterfield 0-0 Rochdale, Crewe Alexandra 3-3 Bury, Fleetwood Town 4-0 Colchester United, Gillingham 2-0 Wigan Athletic, Oldham Athletic 1-1 Shrewsbury Town, Port Vale 3-0 Doncaster Rovers, Scunthorpe United 0-0 Millwall, Sheffield United 2-0 Blackpool, Southend United 0-1 Swindon Town, Walsall 2-1 Coventry City.

ID:241134: cacheID:241134:1false2false3false:QQ:: from db desktop :LenBod:restore:10404:
Restore Data
Share this article now:
Bristol City players Aden Flint, Luke Freeman and Joe Bryan celebrate the opening goal against Peterborough on February 17, 2015
Read Next:
League One roundup: Bristol City win promotion
rhs 2.0
Todays Game Header Right

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Match previews - Daily
Transfer Talk Daily
Morning Briefing (7am UTC)
Ultra close-up image of Kevin De Bruyne [NOT FOR USE IN ARTICLES]Get the latest transfer news, match previews and news direct to your inbox!