On this day: Norman Whiteside fires Manchester United to Wembley

Thirty-one years ago today, teenager Norman Whiteside scores the winning goal as Manchester United defeat Arsenal 2-1 in the semi-finals of the FA Cup.

Despite the fact that he had scored the 1983 League Cup final's opening goal, Norman Whiteside departed Wembley visibly upset after his Manchester United side had been defeated 2-1 by arch rivals and holders Liverpool.

The 17-year-old regained his composure three weeks later and 31 years ago today as Villa Park played host to United and Arsenal, with a place in the final of the FA Cup at stake.

However, despite a bright start by Ron Atkinson's side, it appeared that it was going to be another disappointing afternoon for Whiteside and United when the Gunners broke the deadlock in the 36th minute. Goalkeeper Gary Bailey failed to hold Vladimir Petrovic's cross and Tony Woodcock capitalised to prod in from close range.

The scoreline remained 1-0 to Arsenal going into the break, but United responded just four minutes after the restart. Ashley Grimes crossed from the left for Bryan Robson, who shrugged off the attention of Brian Talbot, before rolling a shot across George Wood and into the far corner of the net.

Robson then had two further chances in quick succession as United started to dominate proceedings, but on both occasions Wood denied the midfielder.

The Arsenal keeper was powerless to prevent United from taking the lead in the 70th minute, though. Full-back Arthur Albiston's hopeful pass forward was met by an unmarked Whiteside, who lashed a half-volley beyond the reach of a helpless Wood.

That goal forced the North Londoners into action and it appeared that they were going to equalise when Graham Rix crossed for Woodcock, but the England centre-forward failed to make a clean contact as Bailey went untested.

The tie's final act saw United defender Kevin Moran leave the pitch covered in blood, but there wasn't enough time remaining for Arsenal to exploit that absence as the final whistle was blown just moments later.

ARSENAL: Wood; Hollins, O'Leary, Whyte, Sansom; Petrovic, Talbot, Robson, Davis, Rix; Woodcock

MAN UNITED: Bailey; Duxbury, Moran, McQueen, Albiston; Moses, Wilkins, Robson, Grimes; Stapleton, Whiteside

Bryan Robson shakes hands with Diego Maradona before Manchester United face Barcelona on March 21, 1984.
Read Next:
Man United's second-leg comebacks
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole

Loading ...

Failed to load data.

1Manchester CityMan City24212170185265
2Manchester UnitedMan Utd24165349163353
5Tottenham HotspurSpurs24136547222545
7Leicester CityLeicester249783632434
11West Ham UnitedWest Ham2468103042-1226
13Crystal Palace2467112237-1525
14Huddersfield TownHuddersfield2466121941-2224
15Newcastle UnitedNewcastle2465132234-1223
16Brighton & Hove AlbionBrighton2458111733-1623
17Stoke CityStoke2465132550-2523
19West Bromwich AlbionWest Brom24311101931-1220
20Swansea CitySwansea2345141435-2117
Login, I already have my ad-free pass
Log in with Facebook to customise Sports Mole
Buy ad-free access (show me the options)
Buy monthly ad-free access for £1.20/month
Buy yearly ad-free access for £12 (2 months free)
Settings - Logout - Manage your account
Settings - Logout - Manage your account