Sep 23, 2014 at 7.45pm UK at ​Anfield
Liverpool win 14-13 on penalties
Rossiter (10'), Suso (109')
Sakho (61')
FT(HT: 1-0)
Reach (62'), Bamford (123' pen.)
Omeruo (57'), Reach (106')

Result: Liverpool survive Middlesbrough scare

Liverpool beat Middlesbrough 14-13 on penalties after a 2-2 draw in their League Cup third-round tie at Anfield.

Liverpool have booked their place in the fourth round of the League Cup by beating Middlesbrough 14-13 in a penalty shootout following a 2-2 draw this evening.

David Ayala threatened early on for the visitors as he rose highest to meet a corner, before seeing his header saved by Simon Mignolet.

Jordan Rossiter of Liverpool celebrates after scoring the opening goal during the Capital One Cup Third Round match against Middlesbrough on September 23, 2014© Getty Images

The Reds took the lead in the 10th minute when Rickie Lambert saw his effort saved and Jordan Rossiter followed up to slot the rebound into the net.

Midway through the half Liverpool threatened again with Adam Lallana creating some space in the midfield before firing a strike wide of the target.

Lee Tomlin had Middlesbrough's best chance of the game with six minutes of the first half left to play, but his powerful strike was saved by the keeper as the hosts held on to take their lead into the break.

In the 62nd minute the visitors drew level when Adam Reach got on the end of Grant Leadbitter's free kick to head in from close range.

They almost grabbed a second as Adam Clayton fired in a strike from outside the box that was kept out by Mignolet.

Clayton went even closer for Boro soon after when he saw his effort from a tight angle come back off the post.

Neither side were able to find the net in normal time and the game headed towards an extra 30 minutes.

Liverpool dominated throughout extra time but had to wait until the 109th minute to make the breakthrough, as Mario Balotelli's blocked shot fell kindly to Suso, who then placed a low effort past the keeper.

The Reds had looked set to claim the points, but in the third minute of stoppage time Middlesbrough were awarded a penalty when Patrick Bamford charged into the box and was brought down by Kolo Toure.

Bamford stepped up to take the spot kick himself and he kept his composure to slot a low effort into the bottom corner to send the game to penalties.

Bamford and Raheem Sterling both missed from the spot as the shootout headed towards sudden death.

Following a run of penalties that saw both keepers step up to score, it was Albert Adomah who finally missed the target, with Liverpool heading through to the next round.

Liverpool's Northern Irish manager Brendan Rodgers applauds before the start of the English Premier League football match between Liverpool and Southampton at Anfield stadium in Liverpool, northwest England, on August 17, 2014
Read Next:
Half-Time Report: Rossiter gives Liverpool the lead
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole

Loading ...

Failed to load data.

1Manchester CityMan City23202167175062
2Manchester UnitedMan Utd23155348163250
5Tottenham HotspurSpurs23135546212544
8Leicester CityLeicester238783432231
11West Ham UnitedWest Ham2367102941-1225
12Crystal Palace2367102133-1225
14Huddersfield TownHuddersfield2366111939-2024
15Newcastle UnitedNewcastle2365122131-1023
16Brighton & Hove AlbionBrighton2358101729-1223
18Stoke CityStoke2355132350-2720
19West Bromwich AlbionWest Brom23310101830-1219
20Swansea CitySwansea2345141435-2117
Login, I already have my ad-free pass
Log in with Facebook to customise Sports Mole
Buy ad-free access (show me the options)
Buy monthly ad-free access for £1.20/month
Buy yearly ad-free access for £12 (2 months free)
Settings - Logout - Manage your account
Settings - Logout - Manage your account