Apr 6, 2013 at 3pm UK at ​Turf Moor
Bristol City
Shackell (52'), McCann (61'), Paterson (90')
Marney (32'), Wallace (82'), Paterson (90')
FT(HT: 0-1)
Adomah (35')
Adomah (24')

Result: Burnley rally to beat Bristol City

Result: Burnley rally to beat City
© PA Photos
Burnley come from behind to earn a 3-1 win over Bristol City in the Championship.

Burnley recovered from a goal down at half time to earn a 3-1 comeback win over Bristol City at Turf Moor in the Championship.

Jason Shackell found an equaliser shortly after the break for the hosts, after Albert Adomah had given the visitors a first-half lead.

Goals from Chris McCann and Martin Paterson came either side of a Lee Grant penalty save from Steve Davies to complete the turnaround.

It was the hosts who had the first chance of the match in the second minute, Sam Vokes volleyed his effort wide of the target following a lovely flick from Charlie Austin.

Burnley came close again just moments later, this time Vokes provided a low cross to Austin, who was denied twice at the near post by Tom Heaton.

The Robins goalkeeper was again called into action just a few minutes after when he brilliant stopped Austin's header following a good Ross Wallace cross.

Dean Marney then had a go from 30 yards out for the hosts, but his effort curled fractions wide of the post.

Burnley continued their early onslaught and Austin was inches away from giving them the lead in the 19th minute, after spinning away from the last defender before firing across goal but just over the angle.

Despite the home side's dominance, it was City who took the lead 10 minutes from half time, when Davies's through-ball led to Adomah rounding goalkeeper Lee Grant before rolling the ball into the back of the net.

Burnley nearly found an instant response, but Austin's bullet header from Wallace's corner flew just over the bar.

It took the hosts just seven minutes into the second half to find an equaliser, and they got it when Shackell nodded in Junior Stanislas's bouncing corner.

Burnley nearly went in front just five minutes later, but Heaton saved Vokes's poor header from a Wallace cross before McCann hit a half-volley straight at the keeper a minute after.

However, Burnley completed the comeback in the 61st minute, when Kieran Trippier's cross found McCann at the back post and he took a touch before smashing the ball past Heaton to make it 2-1.

Bristol were given the perfect opportunity to find an equaliser of their own eight minutes from the end when they were awarded a penalty after Adomah was brought down by Joseph Mills.

However, Davies's spot kick was magnificently save by Grant to keep Burnley in front.

Burnley nearly extended their lead with four minutes to go, but Heaton turned Austin's 25-yard effort brilliantly past the post.

The home side did find a third goal in stoppage time when Paterson's initial header hit Matthew Bates before falling kindly to the striker, who was able to volley past Heaton to secure the victory.

Albert Adomah
Read Next:
Half-Time Report: Adomah gives Bristol lead at Burnley
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole

Loading ...

Failed to load data.

1Manchester CityMan City23202167175062
2Manchester UnitedMan Utd23155348163250
5Tottenham HotspurSpurs23135546212544
8Leicester CityLeicester238783432231
11West Ham UnitedWest Ham2367102941-1225
12Crystal Palace2367102133-1225
14Huddersfield TownHuddersfield2366111939-2024
15Newcastle UnitedNewcastle2365122131-1023
16Brighton & Hove AlbionBrighton2358101729-1223
18Stoke CityStoke2355132350-2720
19West Bromwich AlbionWest Brom23310101830-1219
20Swansea CitySwansea2345141435-2117
Login, I already have my ad-free pass
Log in with Facebook to customise Sports Mole
Buy ad-free access (show me the options)
Buy monthly ad-free access for £1.20/month
Buy yearly ad-free access for £12 (2 months free)
Settings - Logout - Manage your account
Settings - Logout - Manage your account