Sports Mole is looking for new part-time reporters to work on busy matchdays during the second half of the 2017-18 season.
Part-time news reporters are home-based and paid at a rate of £7.50 per hour on a self-employed basis. Reporters must be able to cover a variety of sports. Availability during busy matchday afternoons on either Saturday or Sunday is a pre-requisite for any application.
Successful applicants will have:
- The ability to write quickly and accurately in accordance with the house style.
- Strong self-subediting skills.
- An interest in sport in general and be comfortable writing about football, cricket, rugby union and tennis, as well as other sports where relevant. Interests in areas outside of the aforementioned - such as US-based sports and boxing - should be specifically noted in your covering letter.
- A fast and reliable home internet connection and access to an alternative connection in the event of the former being unavailable.
- The ability to source and select news suitable for coverage on the site. Access to sports channels, in particular Sky Sports News, is essential.
In general, part-time shifts at Sports Mole last for three to four hours and are allocated on a monthly basis. Allocation in a given month is variable and dependent on availability within the wider team. In this recruitment drive we are specifically looking for applicants who can work the busy 2pm to 6pm shift on Saturday afternoons, and/or Sunday afternoons and early evening.
Your application should include all of the following:
- A covering letter, explicitly listing your availability for work in a typical week
- Your CV
- Three news stories written in the house style. The stories should be written specifically for the purpose of the application - previous clippings/personal blogs will not be read. The samples should be news stories (not features, not match reports or results) and at least two should be football news stories. Applicants should familiarise themselves with the site's style prior to submitting samples.
- Applications not including all of these components will not be considered or be acknowledged.
Please send complete applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications must be submitted by 5pm on February 27, 2018. All applications will be considered during the second half of February so applicants should not be alarmed if they do not receive a response until this point. Those successful in the first round will be invited for a phone interview and timed trial. Training of successful applicants will take place in early March with a view to integration into the April rota.