Sep 18, 2015 at 8pm UK at ​Langtree Park
St HelensSt Helens
Wigan Warriors
Walsh (34', 34'), Smith (56', 56'), Jones (78', 78')
Tomkins (12', 12'), Williams (51', 51')

Result: St Helens beat Wigan Warriors with last-minute try

A last-minute Josh Jones try gives St Helens an 18-14 Super League victory over Wigan Warriors.

St Helens have beaten Wigan Warriors 18-14 in the Super League Super 8s after a last-minute try by Josh Jones.

Jordan Turner crossed the line for St Helens after 12 minutes, but the video referee revealed an obstruction in the build-up and the scores remained deadlocked.

Wigan opened the scoring four minutes later when Joel Tomkins crossed the line, and the Warriors continued to put pressure on the St Helens defence throughout the first half.

The Saints were level before half time though when Luke Walsh crossed the line and the try was awarded after consultation with the video referee.

Wigan regained the lead in the 46th minute, when James Roby was penalised for interference and Matty Bowen kicked through the posts to add an extra two points.

The lead was extended eight minutes later when George Williams shimmied past the St Helens defence to cross under the posts.

George Williams of Wigan Warriors is mobbed by teammates after scoring his second half try during the First Utility Super League match between St Helens and Wigan Warriors at Langtree Park on September 18, 2015 in St Helens, England.© Getty Images

Joe Burgess then thought that he had wrapped the result up for Wigan after catching a high kick from Matty Smith, but there was a knock-on in the build-up.

Adam Smith took St Helens within two points of their opponents in the 56th minute when he dodged two Wigan tackles before touching down.

With two minutes remaining, Wigan had another try disallowed when Anthony Gelling was held up above the line.

St Helens stole the victory in the final minute when Josh Jones outjumped Matt Bowen to touch down.

The result denies Wigan Warriors a place at the top of the Super League table.

Tommy Makinson of St Helens goes over for a try during the First Utility Super League match between St Helens and Castleford Tigers at Langtree Park on February 27, 2015
Read Next:
Result: St Helens overturn deficit to beat Wigan
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole