Result: St Helens 18-36 Warrington Wolves

Warrington reach their first ever Super League Grand Final with a 36-18 win at St Helens.

Warrington Wolves staged a second-half comeback to beat St Helens 36-18 at Langtree Park in tonight's Super League playoff semi-final.

Tony Smith's side will now face defending champions Leeds Rhinos in their first ever Grand Final at Old Trafford next Saturday.

The hosts took the lead after 11 minutes as Tom Makinson went over, but he was unable to convert his own try.

That allowed the visitors to go ahead soon after when Chris Riley's score was converted by Brett Hodgson.

Francis Meli scored the Saints' second try of an exhilarating first half but Makinson was again off target with the conversion.

However, he kicked between the posts on 35 minutes after Paul Wellens went over during a dominant spell for the home side.

That looked to have given the Saints a comfortable lead going into the break, but Simon Grix touched down two minutes before the whistle to keep the visitors in contention. Hodgson then kicked over for the second time to make it 14-12 at half time.

If it was a narrow opening 40 minutes between the two sides then it was a different story in the second as Warrington went into overdrive.

Two Trent Waterhouse tries were complemented by Joel Monaghan's score to put their side firmly in control. On top of that, Hodgson converted all three tries to give Warrington a 34-14 advantage.

They were made to endure a nervy final 10 minutes when Meli got his second try of the match, but Hodgson kicked over again to cap the triumph.

New Rugby League generic
Read Next:
Result: Warrington 6-28 St Helens
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole

Loading ...

Failed to load data.

Login, I already have my ad-free pass
Log in with Facebook to customise Sports Mole
Buy ad-free access (show me the options)
Buy monthly ad-free access for £1.20/month
Buy yearly ad-free access for £12 (2 months free)
Settings - Logout - Manage your account
Settings - Logout - Manage your account