Oct 11, 2014 at 6pm UK at ‚ÄčOld Trafford
St HelensSt Helens
Wigan Warriors
Soliola (54'), Makinson (68')
Burgess (40')

Result: Patient St Helens win dramatic Super League Grand Final against Wigan Warriors

Result: Patient Saints win dramatic Grand Final
© Getty Images
St Helens beat 12-man Wigan Warriors 14-6 in a nervy Super League Grand Final at Old Trafford.

St Helens saw off a dogged Wigan Warriors side, who played almost the entire game with 12 men, to complete a double with victory in the Super League Grand Final.

The Warriors were immediately placed on the back foot when Ben Flower was sent off for leaving two punches on Lance Hohaia, with the Kiwi half back playing no further part in the game as a result.

Replays showed that referee Phil Bentham had little choice but to send off the Wigan prop and things almost worsened for Shaun Wane's men when Matty Bowen knocked on metres from his own line. However, Saints were unable to breach the Warriors rearguard in the early minutes.

Wigan were able to keep their local rivals at bay for 17 minutes and took the lead after Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook was penalised for obstruction, with Matty Smith striking the penalty between the sticks.

St Helens drew level later in the first half through a Mark Percival penalty, but Nathan Brown's side failed to get find any attacking rhythm before the half-time hooter.

However, it was the Warriors who took a surprising lead at the interval when Joe Burgess touched down in the corner with the final attack of the half.

Saints continued to make handling errors, but finally got over the Wigan try line through Sia Soliola in the 54th minute, with Percival kicking the extras.

The Warriors did not give up after falling 8-6 behind and ought to have retaken the lead when they managed to stretch the St Helens defence, but, with Josh Charnley in space on the right wing, Bowen failed to deliver a pass and crucially knocked forward.

Smith then had a good chance to get Wigan back on terms midway through the second half, but his penalty was wide of the uprights.

However, the result was all but settled 12 minutes from time when Tommy Makinson gratefully claimed Paul Wellens's spiralling kick to touch down under the posts.

Saints held on for victory to add the Super League trophy to their League Leaders' Shield and end a run of five straight defeats in the Old Trafford showpiece event.

Sean O'Loughlin of Wigan Warriors looks on during the Tetley's Challenge Cup Semi-Final between Wigan Warriors and London Broncos at Leigh Sports Village on July 27, 2013
Read Next:
Result: Wigan thrash Giants to close in on Grand Final
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole