Fernando Alonso backs Ferrari gamble

Alonso backs Ferrari gamble
© AP Photos
Fernando Alonso says that Ferrari were right not to call him into pit for emergency repairs during the first lap of the Malaysian Grand Prix.

Ferrari racer Fernando Alonso has stood by his team's refusal to call him into the pits for emergency repairs during the Malaysian Grand Prix last month, insisting that it was worth the risk.

The Spaniard badly damaged his car on the second corner of the first lap after driving into the back of Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel before the front wing detached itself and the 31-year-old was sent flying into a gravel trap and out of the race.

However, Alonso is adamant that staying out on the track was the right thing to do at the time.

"Once you've seen the result, in hindsight, it's easy to say it would've been better to come in for a pit-stop," Alonso said during a Twitter Q&A on Ferrari's website. "But it's a decision that has to be made in a matter of seconds, during which we thought that I could hold on for another lap to make the most of the pit-stop and also switch to dry tyres.

"In any case, the race simulations state that if I would have stopped to change the nose, I would have finished ninth or tenth, so we didn't lose anything.

"The problem wasn't not coming in; the damage was done in the collision and it's something that we will try to avoid in the future."

The next race in the Formula 1 calendar is the Chinese Grand Prix on Sunday.

Fernando Alonso sits in his team's pit on November 23, 2012
Read Next:
Alonso pledges future to Ferrari
>
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole

Loading ...

Failed to load data.

Login, I already have my ad-free pass
Log in with Facebook to customise Sports Mole
Buy ad-free access (show me the options)
Buy monthly ad-free access for £1.20/month
Buy yearly ad-free access for £12 (2 months free)
Settings - Logout - Manage your account
Settings - Logout - Manage your account