MX23RW : Tuesday, December 5 22:49:32| >> :600:127094:127094:
[monks data]
Champions League | Group Stage
Sep 29, 2021 at 8pm UK
Sevilla logo
1 - 1
Steffen (48')
Lacroix (1'), Steffen (16'), Mbabu (50'), Guilavogui (79'), Weghorst (86'), Roussillon (90+5')
Guilavogui (85')
FT(HT: 0-0)
Rakitic (87' pen.)
Suso (24'), Mir (45+3'), Rekik (82')

Preview: Wolfsburg vs. Sevilla - prediction, team news, lineups

Sports Mole previews Wednesday's Champions League clash between Wolfsburg and Sevilla, including predictions, team news and possible lineups.

Wolfsburg and Sevilla will both go in search of their first wins of the 2021-22 Champions League during Wednesday's Group G clash at the Volkswagen Arena.

The Bundesliga high-flyers played out a 0-0 draw with Lille on the opening matchday, while Sevilla's clash with Red Bull Salzburg finished 1-1.

Match preview

Wolfsburg coach Mark van Bommel on September 19, 2021© Reuters

Despite being faced with 17 shots and a red card to John Brooks with 30 minutes remaining, Wolfsburg managed to keep Lille at bay and take a point from their opening Champions League clash, but the cracks are starting to show in Mark Van Bommel's side.

After opening their Bundesliga season with four straight wins, Wolfsburg have taken just one point from their last two games in the top flight and fell to their first defeat of the season against Hoffenheim on Saturday, as Ridle Baku's opener was cancelled out by strikes from Andrej Kramaric, Pavel Kaderabek and Christoph Baumgartner in a 3-1 loss.

Now winless in three across all competitions, Wolfsburg have been usurped by Bayern Munich and Bayer Leverkusen at the top of the Bundesliga rankings and were highly fortunate to come away with a draw against Lille, especially seeing as they only chalked up two shots in the entire game.

This week's hosts have also demonstrated a rather goal-shy nature on home soil this season - notching up a solitary goal in each of their games with RB Leipzig, Eintracht Frankfurt and Bochum - but their home form in Champions League seasons gone by is something to behold.

Indeed, Wolfsburg have not hosted a Champions League tie at the Volkswagen Arena since beating Real Madrid 2-0 in April 2016 - four months after beating Manchester United 3-2 at the same ground - and their winning streak at home in the competition stands at five games before the visit of Sevilla.

Sevilla head coach Julen Lopetegui pictured on April 4, 2021© Reuters

With a two-week break in between fixtures before their maiden Champions League battle with Red Bull Salzburg, Sevilla's experienced troops may have felt quietly confident about their chances of an opening-day win, but the Austrian's youthful prospects recorded a 1-1 draw during a pulsating clash.

Ivan Rakitic and Luka Sucic both found the back of the net from 12 yards, but the latter missed a second spot kick after Karim Adeyemi also missed a penalty of his own on the day, and Sevilla held on for a point despite Youssef En-Nesyri's 50th-minute sending off.

Still unbeaten since the 2021-22 campaign kicked off, Sevilla have returned to winning ways in La Liga in convincing fashion and eased to a 2-0 success over Espanyol at the weekend, with En-Nesyri and Rafa Mir netting either side of Thomas Delaney's red card.

Julen Lopetegui's side have only conceded one goal in their three away fixtures so far this season and have proven themselves as a resolute outfit to break down on the road in Europe, with their last Champions League defeat away from home coming all the way back in October 2017 to Spartak Moscow.

Wolfsburg and Sevilla will meet for the very first time at the Volkswagen Arena this week, but the visitors have not had it all their own way against German sides, losing four and drawing two of their last six such encounters.

Wolfsburg Champions League form:
  • D

Wolfsburg form (all competitions):
  • W
  • W
  • W
  • D
  • D
  • L

Sevilla Champions League form:
  • D

Sevilla form (all competitions):
  • W
  • D
  • D
  • D
  • W
  • W

Team News

Wolfsburg's Wout Weghorst celebrates scoring their first goal with teammates on September 19, 2021© Reuters

Wolfsburg will be forced into a defensive change following Brooks's sending off and subsequent suspension, so Sebastiaan Bornauw should come in to partner Maxence Lacroix at centre-back.

William, Xaver Schlager, Bartosz Bialek and Paulo Otavio make up the hosts' injured quartet, and Van Bommel may ponder attacking changes given his side's complete lack of firepower against Lille.

Luca Waldschmidt and Lukas Nmecha are both options for change in the final third, but Wout Weghorst should still start at the tip of the attack.

In contrast, Sevilla must make an alteration up top while En-Nesyri takes his place on the naughty step, with Mir ready to deputise after his strike against Espanyol.

En-Neysri actually picked up a hamstring injury during the tie with Espanyol so may have been spared anyway, and the visitors' medical room is otherwise empty at a crucial time.

Delaney's red card in league action means nothing for this game, but the Denmark international may cede his place to Fernando either way.

Wolfsburg possible starting lineup:
Casteels; Mbabu, Brooks, Bornauw, Roussillon; Arnold, Guilavogui; Nmecha, Philipp, Baku; Weghorst

Sevilla possible starting lineup:
Bono; Navas, Kounde, Carlos, Acuna; Jordan, Fernando, Rakitic; Suso, Mir, Ocampos

SM words green background

We say: Wolfsburg 0-1 Sevilla

Sevilla have made a typically eye-catching start to the season under Lopetegui, but without En-Nesyri leading the line, goals may be hard to come by on Wednesday.

Wolfsburg have plenty of fond memories from past Champions League encounters on home soil, although their lack of firepower in matchweek one was alarming, and we expect Sevilla to stand firm and shade a close contest here.

Top tip

Our expert tipster partners at are predicting under 3.5 goals in this match. Click here to find out what else they are predicting for this game and for more of their tried-and-tested football tips.Under 3.5:data

ID:465508:1false2false3false:QQ:: from db desktop :LenBod:collect12247:

Data Analysis

Our analysis of all available data, including recent performances and player stats up until an hour before kickoff, suggested the most likely outcome of this match was a Sevilla win with a probability of 47%. A draw had a probability of 27.7% and a win for Wolfsburg had a probability of 25.3%.

The most likely scoreline for a Sevilla win was 0-1 with a probability of 13.99%. The next most likely scorelines for that outcome were 0-2 (9.49%) and 1-2 (8.68%). The likeliest drawn scoreline was 1-1 (12.8%), while for a Wolfsburg win it was 1-0 (9.45%). The actual scoreline of 1-1 was predicted with a 12.8% likelihood.

Previews by email

Click here to get Sports Mole's daily email of previews and predictions for every major game!

Game History

How you voted: Wolfsburg vs Sevilla

Collect / Create New Data
Share this article now:
Young Boys players celebrate after the match on September 14, 2021
Read Next:
Young Boys stun 10-man Manchester United with late victory
Sports Mole Logo
Enter your email address to subscribe to Sports Mole's free match previews newsletter! Updates are sent twice a week.
rhs 2.0
MLS Apple TV+ Messi promo
Today's games header
Tables header RHS

Group A

4Man Utd51134

Group B


Group C

QReal Madrid550015
4Union Berlin50232

Group D

QReal Sociedad532011
QInter Milan532011

Group E


Group F

4AC Milan51225

Group G

QMan City550015
QRB Leipzig53029
3Young Boys51134
4Red Star50141

Group H


MLS Apple TV+ Messi promo
New Apple Music general promo - 300x250

Subscribe to our newsletter

Sports Mole provides in-depth previews and predictions for every match from the biggest leagues and competitions in world football.
Argentina's Lionel Messi kisses the World Cup trophy after collecting the Golden Ball award on December 18, 2022Sign up for our FREE daily preview newsletter direct to your inbox!