MX23RW : Tuesday, June 25 18:46:03| >> :120:9732:9732:
[monks data]
Uruguay national football team
World Cup Qualifying - South America | Group Stage
Mar 24, 2022 at 11.30pm UK
 
Peru national football team

Uruguay
1 - 0
Peru

De Arrascaeta (42')
Pellistri (72'), Suarez (76')
FT(HT: 1-0)

Preview: Uruguay vs. Peru - prediction, team news, lineups

Sports Mole previews Thursday's World Cup Qualifying - South America clash between Uruguay and Peru, including predictions, team news and possible lineups.

Uruguay and Peru will lock horns in their penultimate CONMEBOL World Cup qualifier at the Centenario on Thursday.

Both nations are battling to book their place at this year's tournament in Qatar, with the hosts currently sitting fourth in the standings, one place and one point above the visitors in fifth.


Match preview

Uruguay coach Diego Alonso reacts on February 1, 2022© Reuters

After suffering four straight defeats in CONMEBOL Qualifying between October and November last year, which brought an end to Oscar Tabarez's 15-year reign as manager, Uruguay have since bounced back with successive victories under the tutelage of Diego Alonso.

La Celeste followed up a slender 1-0 win away in Paraguay with a comfortable 4-1 victory at home against Venezuela last month, with Luis Suarez, Edinson Cavani, Rodrigo Bentancur and Giorgian de Arrascaeta all on the scoresheet.

Six wins, four draws and six defeats sees Uruguay with 22 points from their 16 matches and they are clinging on to the fourth and final automatic qualification spot.

However, victory for the two-time World Cup winners against Peru on Thursday would all but secure their place at this year's tournament in Qatar, before facing Chile in their final qualification fixture on March 30.

La Celeste have won five of their last 11 encounters against Peru in all competitions and are currently unbeaten in each of their last four against them, including three draws.

Peru players celebrate after the match on January 28, 2022© Reuters

Following a poor start to their qualification campaign – winning only three of their opening 12 games, including four defeats and a draw in their opening five – Peru have since turned their fortunes around and are in contention for a top-four place.

La Blanquirroja won three successive games against Bolivia, Venezuela and Colombia before drawing 1-1 against Ecuador in their most recent qualifier last month. A 69th-minute strike from DC United midfielder Edison Flores cancelled out a second-minute opener from Ecuador's Michael Estrada to rescue a point in Lima.

That result has seen them slip down to fifth place into the inter-confederation playoff position, but they are only one point behind Thursday's opponents Uruguay and have a favourable final fixture against already-eliminated Paraguay next week.

Peru have not beaten Uruguay since March 2017 when they won 2-1 on home soil, but success in Montevideo would provide a huge boost in their quest to qualify for back-to-back World Cup tournaments for the first time since 1982.

Uruguay World Cup Qualifying - South America form:
  • L
  • L
  • L
  • L
  • W
  • W

Peru World Cup Qualifying - South America form:
  • L
  • L
  • W
  • W
  • W
  • D

Peru form (all competitions):
  • W
  • W
  • D
  • W
  • W
  • D


Team News

Uruguay's Rodrigo Bentancur celebrates scoring their first goal with teammates on February 1, 2022© Reuters

Uruguay will be able to welcome back midfielder Lucas Torreira, who missed their last match due to COVID-19; however, Matias Vecino is sidelined with the virus.

Torreira is set to start alongside Bentancur in the middle of the pitch, while Manchester United's Facundo Pellistri, who was handed his first two senior caps last month, could be handed another start on the right side of midfield.

Fernando Muslera missed last month's qualifiers due to injury, but the experienced goalkeeper is set to replace Sergio Rochet between the sticks, while Barcelona centre-back Ronald Araujo may continue at right-back ahead of Martin Caceres, joining Diego Godin, Jose Gimenez and Mathias Olivera in the back four.

Veteran strikers Suarez and Cavani are the two most likely candidates to start up front, but Darwin Nunez and Maxi Gomez will both be hoping to force their way into the first XI.

As for Peru, Aldo Corzo and Christian Cueva both served one-match suspensions last time out and are available to return to the starting lineup on Thursday.

Corzo could replace 104-cap Luis Advincula at right-back, while Cueva will be competing with Raziel Garcia for a place on the left flank.

Midfielder Renato Tapia, who scored in the 1-1 draw against Uruguay last year, could retain his place in centre-midfield alongside Sergio Pena and Yoshimar Yotun, while either Santiago Ormeno or Gianluca Lapadula is set to lead the line in attack.

Uruguay possible starting lineup:
Muslera; Araujo, Godin, Gimenez, Olivera; Pellistri, Bentancur, Torreira, Valverde; Cavani, Suarez

Peru possible starting lineup:
Gallese; Corzo, Ramos, Callens, Trauco; Tapia; Carrillo, Pena, Yotun, Cueva; Lapadula


SM words green background

We say: Uruguay 2-1 Peru

A closely-fought contest is set to take place in Montevideo, though Uruguay will head into this fixture as favourites given their star names such as Suarez and Cavani can be called upon.

Peru will likely cause problems in the final third, but we believe the hosts possess greater firepower in attack which should see them outscore their opponents.



Top tip

Our expert tipster partners at Sporita.com are predicting over 1.5 goals in this match. Click here to find out what else they are predicting for this game and for more of their tried-and-tested football tips.Over 1.5:data



ID:481396:1false2false3false:QQ:: from db desktop :LenBod:collect11350:

Data Analysis

Our analysis of all available data, including recent performances and player stats up until an hour before kickoff, suggested the most likely outcome of this match was a Uruguay win with a probability of 55.5%. A draw had a probability of 25.2% and a win for Peru had a probability of 19.29%.

The most likely scoreline for a Uruguay win was 1-0 with a probability of 14.39%. The next most likely scorelines for that outcome were 2-0 (11.37%) and 2-1 (9.28%). The likeliest drawn scoreline was 1-1 (11.73%), while for a Peru win it was 0-1 (7.42%). The actual scoreline of 1-0 was predicted with a 14.4% likelihood. Our data analysis correctly predicted a 1-0 win for Uruguay in this match and our team at Sports Mole correctly predicted the win for Uruguay.


Previews by email

Click here to get Sports Mole's daily email of previews and predictions for every major game!


Game History

How you voted: Uruguay vs Peru

Uruguay
61.2%
Draw
15.8%
Peru
23.0%
139
Collect / Create New Data
Share this article now:
Luis Suarez in action for Uruguay on June 8, 2021
Read Next:
Uruguay Copa America preview - prediction, fixtures, squad, star player
>
Sports Mole Logo
Enter your email address to subscribe to Sports Mole's free match previews newsletter! Updates are sent twice a week.
rhs 2.0
Euro 2024 fixtures header
Tuesday, June 25
 
8pm
 
8pm
Wednesday, June 26
 
5pm
 
5pm
 
8pm
Saturday, June 29
 
5pm
 
8pm
Sunday, June 30
Monday, July 1
Tuesday, July 2
Friday, July 5
Saturday, July 6
Tuesday, July 9
Wednesday, July 10
Sunday, July 14
Tables header RHS

Group A

TeamPWDLPTS
Q Germany Germany32107
Q Switzerland Switzerland31205
3 Hungary Hungary31023
4 Scotland flag Scotland30121

Group B

TeamPWDLPTS
Q Spain Spain33009
Q Italy Italy31114
3 Croatia Croatia30212
4 Albania national flag Albania30121

Group C

TeamPWDLPTS
Q England flag England21104
2 Denmark Denmark20202
3 Slovenia Slovenia20202
4 Serbia Serbia20111

Group D

TeamPWDLPTS
Q Austria Austria32016
Q France France31205
Q Netherlands Netherlands31114
4 Poland Poland30121

Group E

TeamPWDLPTS
1 Romania Romania21013
2 Belgium Belgium21013
3 Slovakia Slovakia21013
4 Ukraine Ukraine21013

Group F

TeamPWDLPTS
Q Portugal Portugal22006
2 Turkey Turkey21013
3 Czech Republic Czech Republic20111
4 Georgia Georgia20111


Sports Mole provides in-depth previews and predictions for every match from the biggest leagues and competitions in world football.
Argentina's Lionel Messi kisses the World Cup trophy after collecting the Golden Ball award on December 18, 2022Sign up for our FREE daily preview newsletter direct to your inbox!