MX23RW : Friday, May 24 05:46:19| >> :300:86500:86500:
Barnsley
Blackpool
Bolton logo
Bristol Rovers
Burton Albion
Cambridge United
Carlisle United
Charlton Athletic
Cheltenham Town
Derby logo
Exeter City
Fleetwood Town
Leyton Orient
Lincoln City
Northampton Town
Oxford United
Peterborough United
Port Vale
Portsmouth
Reading logo
Shrewsbury Town
Stevenage
Wigan logo
Wycombe Wanderers
Portsmouth
League One | Gameweek 40
Apr 16, 2024 at 7.45pm UK
Fratton Park
Barnsley

Portsmouth
3 - 2
Barnsley

Yengi (9'), Bishop (83' pen.), Shaughnessy (89')
Evans (74')
FT(HT: 1-1)
Cole (6'), McAtee (59')
Durand de Gevigney (75')

The Match

Preview

Sports Mole previews Tuesday's League One clash between Portsmouth and Barnsley, including predictions, team news and possible lineups.

Form, Standings, Stats

Last Game: Bolton 1-1 Portsmouth
Saturday, April 13 at 3pm in League One
Last Game: Barnsley 2-2 Reading
Saturday, April 13 at 3pm in League One

We said: Portsmouth 2-2 Barnsley

Portsmouth have seen two of their last three matches finish all square, and after drawing their previous two home games against Barnsley, we think that they will settle for the point that would secure promotion to the Championship. Read more.

Data Analysis

Our analysis of all available data, including recent performances and player stats up until an hour before kickoff, suggested the most likely outcome of this match was a Portsmouth win with a probability of 43.55%. A win for Barnsley had a probability of 33.06% and a draw had a probability of 23.4%.

The most likely scoreline for a Portsmouth win was 2-1 with a probability of 8.96%. The next most likely scorelines for that outcome were 1-0 (7.19%) and 2-0 (6.13%). The likeliest Barnsley win was 1-2 (7.67%), while for a drawn scoreline it was 1-1 (10.5%). The actual scoreline of 3-2 was predicted with a 3.7% likelihood. Our data analysis correctly predicted that Portsmouth would win this match.

Result
PortsmouthDrawBarnsley
43.55% (-0.846 -0.85) 23.39% (-0.175 -0.17) 33.06% (1.025 1.03)
Both teams to score 62.83% (1.093 1.09)
Goals
Over 2.5Under 2.5
61.28% (1.251 1.25)38.71% (-1.247 -1.25)
Over 3.5Under 3.5
38.98% (1.306 1.31)61.02% (-1.302 -1.3)
Portsmouth Goals
Over 0.5Under 0.5
81.82% (0.157 0.16)18.17% (-0.153 -0.15)
Over 1.5Under 1.5
50.84% (0.265 0.27)49.16% (-0.262 -0.26)
Barnsley Goals
Over 0.5Under 0.5
76.78% (1.192 1.19)23.21% (-1.189 -1.19)
Over 1.5Under 1.5
42.88% (1.71 1.71)57.12% (-1.706 -1.71)
Score Analysis
    Portsmouth 43.55%
    Barnsley 33.06%
    Draw 23.38%
PortsmouthDrawBarnsley
2-1 @ 8.96% (-0.123 -0.12)
1-0 @ 7.19% (-0.395 -0.4)
2-0 @ 6.13% (-0.304 -0.3)
3-1 @ 5.09% (-0.044 -0.04)
3-2 @ 3.72% (0.096 0.1)
3-0 @ 3.49% (-0.155 -0.16)
4-1 @ 2.17% (-0.008 -0.01)
4-2 @ 1.59% (0.048 0.05)
4-0 @ 1.49% (-0.059 -0.06)
Other @ 3.72%
Total : 43.55%
1-1 @ 10.5% (-0.2 -0.2)
2-2 @ 6.54% (0.137 0.14)
0-0 @ 4.22% (-0.253 -0.25)
3-3 @ 1.81% (0.107 0.11)
Other @ 0.31%
Total : 23.38%
1-2 @ 7.67% (0.123 0.12)
0-1 @ 6.16% (-0.147 -0.15)
0-2 @ 4.5% (0.05 0.05)
1-3 @ 3.73% (0.185 0.19)
2-3 @ 3.18% (0.173 0.17)
0-3 @ 2.19% (0.099 0.1)
1-4 @ 1.36% (0.112 0.11)
2-4 @ 1.16% (0.1 0.1)
Other @ 3.1%
Total : 33.06%

How you voted: Portsmouth vs Barnsley

Portsmouth
75.9%
Draw
17.2%
Barnsley
6.9%
58
Head to Head
Sep 19, 2023 7.45pm
Gameweek 7
Barnsley
2-3
Portsmouth
Cotter (49'), Styles (77')
Collins (0')
Bishop (8' pen.), Lane (8'), Ogilvie (16')
Rafferty (80')
Mar 7, 2023 7.45pm
Gameweek 8
Barnsley
3-1
Portsmouth
Norwood (17'), Cadden (20'), Cole (60')
Bishop (49')
Feb 4, 2023 3pm
Gameweek 30
Portsmouth
1-1
Barnsley
Bishop (49')
Thomas (89')
Jan 25, 2020 3pm
Fourth Round
Portsmouth
4-2
Barnsley
Close (37'), Marquis (45'), Curtis (62'), Burgess (76')
Woodrow (60'), Chaplin (91')
Feb 23, 2019 3pm
Gameweek 34
Portsmouth
0-0
Barnsley
Clarke (70')
McGeehan (31')
rhs 2.0
Today's games header
Tables header RHS
TeamPWDLFAGDPTS
CPortsmouth462813578413797
3Bolton WanderersBolton462512986513587
4Peterborough UnitedPeterborough462591289612884
5Oxford UnitedOxford Utd4622111379562377
6Barnsley4621131282641876
7Lincoln CityLincoln4620141265402574
8Blackpool4621101565481773
9Stevenage4619141357461171
10Wycombe WanderersWycombe461714156055565
11Leyton Orient461811175355-265
12Wigan AthleticWigan462010166356762
13Exeter CityExeter461710194661-1561
14Northampton TownNorthampton46179205766-960
15Bristol Rovers46169215268-1657
16Charlton AthleticCharlton461120156465-153
17Reading461611196870-253
18Cambridge UnitedCambridge461212223961-2248
19Shrewsbury TownShrewsbury46139243567-3248
20Burton Albion461210243967-2846
RCheltenham TownCheltenham46128264165-2444
RFleetwood TownFleetwood461013234972-2343
RPort Vale461011254174-3341
RCarlisle UnitedCarlisle4679304181-4030


Sports Mole provides in-depth previews and predictions for every match from the biggest leagues and competitions in world football.
Argentina's Lionel Messi kisses the World Cup trophy after collecting the Golden Ball award on December 18, 2022Sign up for our FREE daily preview newsletter direct to your inbox!