MX23RW : Thursday, April 18 14:13:29| >> :120:3651:3651:
[monks data]
Chelsea logo
Premier League | Gameweek 29
Mar 13, 2022 at 2pm UK
Stamford Bridge
Newcastle logo

Chelsea
1 - 0
Newcastle

Havertz (89')
Havertz (39'), Ziyech (58'), Kovacic (87'), Rudiger (90+1')
FT(HT: 0-0)

Murphy (50'), Guimaraes (80'), Gayle (90+2')

Preview: Chelsea vs. Newcastle United - prediction, team news, lineups

Sports Mole previews Sunday's Premier League clash between Chelsea and Newcastle United, including predictions, team news and possible lineups.

Chelsea will be looking to make it five Premier League victories in a row when they welcome an in-form Newcastle United to Stamford Bridge on Sunday afternoon.

The Blues will enter the contest off the back of a 3-1 win over Norwich City on Thursday, while Newcastle continued their excellent form on the same night with a 2-1 success at Southampton.


Match preview

Kai Havertz and Mason Mount celebrate Chelsea scoring a goal against Norwich City on March 10, 2022© Reuters

There is a lot of uncertainty at Chelsea at the moment, with the club facing a change of ownership, while the capital giants have been hit with a number of restrictions due to the UK government sanctions against current owner Roman Abramovich.

Head coach Thomas Tuchel and the players can only control matters on the field, though, and the Blues put their issues aside on Thursday evening to record a 3-1 victory over Norwich, which made it four straight wins in England's top flight and strengthened their control of third position.

Chelsea have collected 56 points from their 27 league games this term, which has left them eight points clear of fourth-placed Arsenal in the table, although the Gunners have two matches in hand on their capital rivals.

The Blues lost to Liverpool in the final of the EFL Cup at the end of February, but they progressed in the FA Cup with a 3-2 success at Luton Town earlier this month, while the club are in a strong position to reach the quarter-finals of the Champions League, having recorded a 2-0 win over Lille in the first leg of their last-16 tie.

Tuchel's side have the second-best away record in the Premier League this season, but they have been held on five occasions in front of their own supporters, and it remains to be seen what kind of atmosphere will greet the players on Sunday, with the London giants going through a period of huge uncertainty.

Newcastle United's Bruno Guimaraes celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates on March 10, 2022© Reuters

Newcastle will be looking to take advantage of any issues that crop up for the home side this weekend, with the Magpies transforming their form in recent weeks to move away from the relegation zone.

Eddie Howe's side are unbeaten in the Premier League since December 19, winning six of their last seven matches in England's top flight, including a 2-1 success at Southampton on Thursday night.

Newcastle were in serious relegation trouble towards the end of last year but are now up in 14th position in the table, 10 points clear of the bottom three, while they are only four points behind 10th-placed Southampton with a game in hand, which is an extraordinary turn of events considering their troubles.

Howe's team will head to Stamford Bridge full of confidence, particularly as they have picked up 10 points from their last four away matches in the Premier League, but the Magpies have lost their last three Premier League games to Chelsea without scoring a single goal, including a 3-0 reverse earlier this season.

Newcastle have also not beaten Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the league since May 2012, but the Blues have been held by Everton, Brighton & Hove Albion and Liverpool in three of their last four top-flight games at home.

Chelsea Premier League form:
  • L
  • D
  • W
  • W
  • W
  • W

Chelsea form (all competitions):
  • W
  • W
  • L
  • W
  • W
  • W

Newcastle United Premier League form:
  • W
  • W
  • D
  • W
  • W
  • W



Team News

Reece James suffers an injury on December 29, 2021© Reuters

Chelsea will again definitely be missing Ben Chilwell and Reece James, while Christian Pulisic, Cesar Azpilicueta and Marcos Alonso remain doubts due to illness.

Azpilicueta had to be replaced at the interval against Norwich and will not be risked unless he is 100%, so Andreas Christensen could potentially start at right-back here.

Malang Sarr could also be introduced at left-back if Alonso does not recover in time, while N'Golo Kante, Antonio Rudiger and Hakim Ziyech should also be back in the starting side.

Romelu Lukaku is unlikely to earn a role in the first XI, though, with Kai Havertz and Mason Mount both expected to start following their goals against Norwich last time out.

As for Newcastle, Jamal Lewis, Callum Wilson, Kieran Trippier and Isaac Hayden are all definitely out, but Bruno Guimaraes, Allan Saint-Maximin and Joelinton should all be passed fit.

Federico Fernandez and Emil Krafth are also pushing to be involved, while Fabian Schar should feature despite a troublesome groin problem.

Howe could decide against starting Guimaraes, with Joelinton set to return to midfield, while Saint-Maximin will feature on the right of the attack if he recovers from illness.

Javi Manquillo is also in line to start at right-back if Krath fails a late fitness test, with the latter being forced off in the final stages of the clash with Southampton.

Chelsea possible starting lineup:
Mendy; Christensen, T Silva, Rudiger, Sarr; Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic; Ziyech, Havertz, Mount

Newcastle United possible starting lineup:
Dubravka; Manquillo, Schar, Burn, Targett; Willock, Shelvey, Joelinton; Saint-Maximin, Wood, Murphy


SM words green background

We say: Chelsea 2-1 Newcastle United

This will be a real test of Newcastle's recent improvement, and it would not be a surprise to see the Magpies claim a positive result on Sunday afternoon. Chelsea's recent form has been impressive, though, and we believe that the superior quality in the home side's team will allow them to claim a huge three points.



Top tip

Our expert tipster partners at Sporita.com are predicting a home win in this match. Click here to find out what else they are predicting for this game and for more of their tried-and-tested football tips.Home Win:data



ID:480505:1false2false3false:QQ:: from db desktop :LenBod:collect12189:

Data Analysis

Our analysis of all available data, including recent performances and player stats up until an hour before kickoff, suggested the most likely outcome of this match was a Chelsea win with a probability of 76.37%. A draw had a probability of 15.1% and a win for Newcastle United had a probability of 8.53%.

The most likely scoreline for a Chelsea win was 2-0 with a probability of 12.57%. The next most likely scorelines for that outcome were 3-0 (10.48%) and 1-0 (10.06%). The likeliest drawn scoreline was 1-1 (7.17%), while for a Newcastle United win it was 0-1 (2.87%). The actual scoreline of 1-0 was predicted with a 10.1% likelihood. Our team at Sports Mole and our data analysis both correctly predicted that Chelsea would win this match.


Previews by email

Click here to get Sports Mole's daily email of previews and predictions for every major game!


Game History

How you voted: Chelsea vs Newcastle

Chelsea
66.7%
Draw
20.9%
Newcastle United
12.4%
177
Collect / Create New Data
Share this article now:
Chelsea's Antonio Rudiger pictured on November 23, 2021
Read Next:
Clubs looking to swoop for Rudiger amid sanctions?
>
Sports Mole Logo
Enter your email address to subscribe to Sports Mole's free daily transfer newsletter! Sent twice a day during the transfer window.
rhs 2.0
Today's games header
Tables header RHS
TeamPWDLFAGDPTS
1Manchester CityMan City32227376324473
2Arsenal32225575264971
3Liverpool32218372314171
4Aston Villa33196868491963
5Tottenham HotspurSpurs32186865491660
6Newcastle UnitedNewcastle321551269521750
7Manchester UnitedMan Utd32155124748-150
8West Ham UnitedWest Ham33139115258-648
9Chelsea31138106152947
10Brighton & Hove AlbionBrighton321111105250244
11Wolverhampton WanderersWolves32127134651-543
12Fulham33126154951-242
13Bournemouth32119124757-1042
14Crystal Palace3289153754-1733
15Brentford3388174758-1132
16Everton3298153248-1627
17Nottingham ForestNott'm Forest3379174258-1626
18Luton TownLuton3367204670-2425
19Burnley3348213368-3520
20Sheffield UnitedSheff Utd3237223084-5416


Sports Mole provides in-depth previews and predictions for every match from the biggest leagues and competitions in world football.
Argentina's Lionel Messi kisses the World Cup trophy after collecting the Golden Ball award on December 18, 2022Sign up for our FREE daily preview newsletter direct to your inbox!