MX23RW : Monday, February 17 18:33:03| >> :600:2367572:2367572:

Marko plays down Vergne's F1 return chances

Marko plays down Vergne's F1 return chances
© Reuters
Dr Helmut Marko has all but ruled out a return to Formula 1 for Jean-Eric Vergne.

Dr Helmut Marko has all but ruled out a return to Formula 1 for Jean-Eric Vergne.

Vergne, now 29, raced for Toro Rosso between 2012 and 2014, but since being ousted by Red Bull he has established himself as a top Formula E driver, winning the title twice.

But Red Bull boss Marko told motorsport-total.com: "Vergne wins in Formula E now, but the requirement profile is completely different to what we need in Formula 1."

Marko said that if the Frenchman came back to F1, he would be "more or less a complete newcomer".

"It takes a whole season to get used to the peculiarities of the Pirelli tyres," said the 76-year-old.

Red Bull's Marko-led driver program is notoriously tough, but Marko insists it is successful. Indeed, Sebastian Vettel, Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen all became race winners, and Daniil Kvyat, Pierre Gasly and Carlos Sainz have all been on the podium.

"We are satisfied and proud," Marko insists. "And we are massively copied. Except none of the other programs have come close to what we have achieved."

Finally, Marko admitted it is possible that Red Bull will do some more driver switching in 2020, after Pierre Gasly and Alex Albon swapped seats last year.

"Everything is possible. But I hope not," said the Austrian.

body check tags ::

Click here for more stories about Helmut Marko

Click here for more stories about Red Bull

Share this article now:
New Instagram promo
Pierre Gasly pictured at the British GP on July 11, 2019
Read Next:
Gasly deserves 'some blame' for Red Bull demotion
>

rhs 2.0

Subscribe to our Newsletter


Transfer Talk Daily
Match previews - twice weekly
Morning Briefing (7am UTC)
Ultra close-up image of Kevin De Bruyne [NOT FOR USE IN ARTICLES]Get the latest transfer news, match previews and news direct to your inbox!