Red Bull driver Sebastian Vettel records the fastest time in the first practice session ahead of the Indian Grand Prix.
Sebastian Vettel has recorded the fastest time in the first practice session ahead of Sunday's Indian Grand Prix.
The 26-year-old, who could secure his fourth world title this weekend, finished marginally ahead of his Red Bull teammate Mark Webber and Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg.
Romain Grosjean finished in fourth position for Lotus Renault, while British duo Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button ended the session in fifth and sixth place respectively.
Felipe Massa and Fernando Alonso were eighth and 12th quickest for Ferrari, with Great Britain's James Calado, who is a reserve driver with Force India, finished in 18th.
1. Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull)
2. Mark Webber (Red Bull)
3. Nico Rosberg (Mercedes)
4. Romain Grosjean (Lotus Renault)
5. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
6. Jenson Button (McLaren)
7. Sergio Perez (McLaren)
8. Felipe Massa (Ferrari)
9. Nico Hulkenberg (Sauber)
10. Valtteri Bottas (Williams)
11. Jean-Eric Vergne (Toro Rosso)
12. Fernando Alonso (Ferrari)
13. Daniel Ricciardo (Toro Rosso)
14. Pastor Maldonado (Williams)
15. Adrian Sutil (Force India)
16. Esteban Gutierrez (Sauber)
17. Kimi Raikkonen (Lotus Renault)
18. James Calado (Force India)
19. Giedo van der Garde (Caterham)
20. Jules Bianchi (Marussia)
21. Charles Pic (Caterham)
22. Max Chilton (Marussia)
Result: Hamilton goes fastest in Japan first practice >