'Pepe Reina had Barcelona agreement', claims father

Marseille's French midfielder Florian Thauvin scores a goal past Napoli's Spanish goalkeeper Jose Manuel Reina and Colombian defender Pablo Armero during the UEFA Champions League group F football match SSC Napoli vs Olympique de Marseille at the San Paol
© Getty Images
The father of Pepe Reina says that his son would be a Barcelona player now had Victor Valdes not opted to remain at Camp Nou this season.

Pepe Reina would have joined Barcelona in the summer had Victor Valdes left Camp Nou, according to the father of the Napoli goalkeeper.

The 31-year-old - on loan from Liverpool - began his career with the Catalan giants as a youngster and has repeatedly been touted as a successor to Valdes, who is poised to quit the club next summer after the expiration of his current deal.

Valdes was heavily linked with a move to Monaco throughout the off-season and Reina's father, Miguel, has revealed that the club were preparing for life after the Barca shot-stopper by recruiting his son.

"A few months ago Pepe was in talks with Barcelona. They had an agreement and he was all set to go," he told Minuto 116

"But in the end Victor Valdes did not leave. That's why the transfer fell through."

Reina, who has made 11 appearances for the Naples-based club this season, has admitted that he is unlikely to return to Anfield beyond the end of his loan spell, having previously cast doubt on his Liverpool future

Moenchengladbach's goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen reacts after the German first division Bundesliga football match VfL Borussia Moenchengladbach vs Hamburg SV on September 26, 2012
Read Next:
Report: Barca stall Ter Stegen interest?
>
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole



Tables