MX23RW : Wednesday, August 12 15:19:48| >> :600:966703:966703:

Saturday's Formula 1 news roundup: Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel, Sergio Perez

Saturday's Formula 1 news roundup: Hamilton, Vettel, Perez
© Reuters
Here, Sports Mole rounds up the latest Formula 1 news on Saturday, August 1.

Sports Mole rounds up all of the latest news regarding Formula 1 on Saturday, August 1.

Saturday morning's Formula 1 news roundup:


Vettel has 'more time' after July 31 deadline - Marko

Sebastian Vettel pictured on February 21, 2020© Reuters

Sebastian Vettel insists he is not under "time pressure" to decide his next career move.

We reported that a July 31 deadline, tying in with an exit clause in Sergio Perez's contract, had been set for the quadruple world champion to decide whether to move to Racing Point for 2021.

"There is no time pressure," Vettel told German media on Thursday, one day before the supposed deadline.

"Maybe I will know in weeks, maybe it will take longer. For me the most important thing is that I make the right decision and that the package is right."

There are rumours Vettel may still be holding out for a Red Bull seat, even though his former bosses have said there is no room at the senior team.

However, if the protest lodged by Renault against the legality of Racing Point's 2020 car is rejected, Dr Helmut Marko says the junior team Alpha Tauri may run the same car as the senior Red Bull team in 2021.

"Everything depends on the protest," Ralf Schumacher told Sky Deutschland. "That will be crucial. It will all be very interesting.

"If Renault's protest is rejected, Red Bull will use four identical cars in 2021. And then it doesn't really matter which of the four cars he drives," Schumacher also told f1-insider.com.

When asked about the protest, Red Bull's Marko said: "First of all we have to get the judgement. That shouldn't happen before the race on Sunday."

And when also asked about the supposed July 31 deadline for Vettel, Marko added: "To my knowledge, he has more time to choose after that."



Hulkenberg set to replace Perez at Silverstone

Nico Hulkenberg pictured on September 29, 2019© Reuters

Nico Hulkenberg looks set to make a shock return to Formula 1 this weekend at Silverstone.

It comes after Sergio Perez was sidelined after testing positive for coronavirus.

Formula 1 insists, however, that the back-to-back races in Britain will go ahead.

"The procedures set out by the FIA and Formula 1 have provided for swift containment of an incident that will have no wider impact on this weekend's event," a statement read.

As for Racing Point, the Silverstone based team said its regular Mexican driver is "physically well", and the "intention is to race two cars on Sunday".

Mercedes reserve Stoffel Vandoorne was first in line to replace Perez, but he is in Berlin for a Formula E race.

"Stoffel is in Berlin to prepare for the last six rounds of Formula E which will start next Wednesday," a Mercedes spokesperson told La Derniere Heure.

"In case Sergio Perez cannot race, our second reserve Esteban Gutierrez will replace him."

Gutierrez is indeed at Silverstone, but Racing Point's first pick is in fact believed to be Nico Hulkenberg, who lost his Renault seat at the end of last year.

The German, who drove for the Silverstone based team - then Force India - in 2012 and again in 2014-2016, has reportedly undergone a corona test and is awaiting the results.



More news from Formula 1:

Damon Hill fears Lewis Hamilton will carry Formula 1's anti-racism baton alone
Former world champion believes the best of the current crop could be left to carry the baton alone. Read more.

Red Bull 'nervous' about Mercedes dominance
Red Bull is "getting nervous" in its battle to quickly catch up with Mercedes, team official Dr Helmut Marko has admitted. Read more.

F1 should not be involved in 'racism or politics' - Ecclestone
Formula 1 should not be involved "in racism or politics in general", according to the sport's former chief executive Bernie Ecclestone. Read more.

Marko says Albon will be faster with new engineer
Red Bull is expecting Alex Albon to enjoy "an increase in performance" thanks to working with a more experienced race engineer from now on. Read more.

Sainz expecting to wait until 2022 for winning Ferrari
Carlos Sainz says it is only "common sense" to conclude that he will not be world champion or even win races after switching to Ferrari next year. Read more.

Ferrari's future strategy surprises Wolff
Toto Wolff has admitted surprise at Ferrari's decision to essentially write off both the 2020 and 2021 seasons in order to focus on the new rules for 2022. Read more.

Bottas expects to sign 2021 contract 'soon'
Valtteri Bottas says talks to extend his contract with Mercedes have already begun. Read more.

Ocon finding his feet at Renault - Boullier
Esteban Ocon is still finding his feet at Renault after a year out of the sport. Read more.

Racing Point boss expects rules to change following Sergio Perez's positive test
The Mexican driver will be replaced by Nico Hulkenberg at Silverstone after contracting the illness. Read more.

Lance Stroll ends second practice on top, Lewis Hamilton finishes fifth
The Racing Point driver ended second practice on top as the Briton struggled in the sweltering heat in Northamptonshire. Read more.

Nurburgring hopes to welcome F1 spectators
Nurburgring officials are hopeful the German circuit will be able to welcome spectators to the scene of the October race. Read more.

Magnussen hopes Haas owner stays in F1
Gene Haas is still yet to decide whether to keep his Formula 1 team up and racing. Read more.

Lewis Hamilton beaten to top spot by Max Verstappen in opening practice
Championship leader Lewis Hamilton, bidding to win at the British Grand Prix for a seventh time on Sunday, trailed Red Bull's Max Verstappen by 0.474 seconds. Read more.

Red Bull suspects Mercedes hiding true pace
Red Bull suspects Mercedes is hiding its true superiority so far at Silverstone. Read more.

Perez 'did nothing wrong' in contracting virus - boss
A happy Nico Hulkenberg is expecting his body to hurt when he returns to the cockpit of Sergio Perez's Racing Point for qualifying at Silverstone. Read more.

Nico Hulkenberg to stand in for Sergio Perez at Silverstone
Racing Point driver Sergio Perez tested positive for coronavirus ahead of this weekend's British Grand Prix. Read more.

Red Bull close to new Austria GP contract
Red Bull is close to extending its agreement with Formula 1 to host the annual Austrian GP. Read more.

ID:408727:

Click here for more stories about Lewis Hamilton

Share this article now:
Did you know...?
Carlos Sainz Jr pictured on July 25, 2019
Read Next:
Thursday's Formula 1 news roundup: Sainz, Sirotkin, Leclerc
>
Latest Sports Video

rhs 2.0

Subscribe to our Newsletter


Transfer Talk Daily
Match previews - twice weekly
Morning Briefing (7am UTC)
Ultra close-up image of Kevin De Bruyne [NOT FOR USE IN ARTICLES]Get the latest transfer news, match previews and news direct to your inbox!