MX23RW : Friday, March 1 01:07:58| >> :120:43644:43644:
[monks data]
Hull logo
Championship | Gameweek 24
Jan 19, 2022 at 7.45pm UK
The KCOM Stadium
Blackburn logo
Hull City
2 - 0
Blackburn
Honeyman (8'), Eaves (67')
FT(HT: 1-0)

Rothwell (81'), Lenihan (88'), Brereton Diaz (90+5')

Preview: Hull City vs. Blackburn Rovers - prediction, team news, lineups

Sports Mole previews Wednesday's Championship clash between Hull City and Blackburn Rovers, including predictions, team news and possible lineups.

Blackburn Rovers square off against Hull City on Wednesday evening with the opportunity to move into the top two of the Championship standings.

While Rovers are the form team in the division, Hull have gone five games without success, leaving the Tigers just four points above the relegation zone.


Match preview

Blackburn Rovers manager Tony Mowbray on October 19, 2021© Reuters

On the back of three indifferent performances, Blackburn made the journey to Cardiff City at the weekend knowing that a victory mattered more than an improved display.

Nevertheless, Tony Mowbray would have been delighted with both returns, Rovers claiming a 1-0 win against the Bluebirds and showing their character in keeping a clean sheet even when down to 10 men.

Blackburn have gone 10 matches unbeaten in the Championship, dropping just four points during that period, and Mowbray will be even more satisfied with a seventh clean sheet being posted.

With neither of the top two to play until March, there is a window of opportunity for Rovers to gain an advantage in the race for automatic promotion, even if three of their next four games are away from Ewood Park.

Top goalscorer Ben Brereton Diaz has gone two Championship matches without finding the back of the net, his longest barren spell since the middle of October.

Hull City manager Grant McCann on January 16, 2022© Reuters

As far as Hull are concerned, this is one of the few fixtures that they would not have wanted as they look to end a winless streak which has lasted since the end of November.

The Tigers had looked well on course to ease away from the bottom three, but they are now without a win in six and have lost four successive games in all competitions.

Given the excitement regarding a takeover, the 2-0 defeat at home to Stoke City on Sunday was a major letdown, and Hull are now only nine points above bottom spot with Derby County having recently put together a strong run of form.

Although Grant McCann will not necessarily be concerned at this stage, failure to collect any points from a double-header of Blackburn and second-placed Bournemouth would likely leave Hull further in trouble.

Hull City Championship form:
  • W
  • D
  • D
  • L
  • L
  • L

Hull City form (all competitions):
  • D
  • D
  • L
  • L
  • L
  • L

Blackburn Rovers Championship form:
  • W
  • W
  • W
  • W
  • D
  • W

Blackburn Rovers form (all competitions):
  • W
  • W
  • W
  • D
  • L
  • W



Team News

Blackburn Rovers' Sam Gallagher celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates on October 16, 2021© Reuters

McCann will almost certainly make several changes to his Hull side, including handing a recall to Richard Smallwood.

George Moncur may also come back into contention after two recent substitute appearances, but the frontline could stay the same with Mallik Wilks sidelined through injury.

Blackburn will make at least one alteration to the team which won in South Wales after Ryan Nyambe was sent off during the latter stages.

To avoid tinkering with his in-form back three, Mowbray could give the nod to Joe Rankin-Costello at right wing-back.

Forward Sam Gallagher is pushing for an opportunity alongside Brereton Diaz ahead of Reda Khadra.

Hull City possible starting lineup:
Baxter; Bernard, Greaves, McLoughlin; Longman, Moncur, Smallwood, Lewis-Potter; Honeyman; Smith, Eaves

Blackburn Rovers possible starting lineup:
Kaminski; Van Hecke, Lenihan, Wharton; Rankin-Costello, Travis, Rothwell, Edun; Buckley; Brereton Diaz, Gallagher


SM words green background

We say: Hull City 0-2 Blackburn Rovers

A few weeks ago ahead of the initial fixture, Hull were being tipped to trouble their high-flying opponents. However, that is not the case now, and we expect Blackburn to run out convincing victors on Humberside.



Top tip

Our expert tipster partners at Sporita.com are predicting over 1.5 goals in this match. Click here to find out what else they are predicting for this game and for more of their tried-and-tested football tips.Over 1.5:data



ID:475549:1false2false3false:QQ:: from db desktop :LenBod:collect9949:

Data Analysis

Our analysis of all available data, including recent performances and player stats up until an hour before kickoff, suggested the most likely outcome of this match was a Blackburn Rovers win with a probability of 37.46%. A win for Hull City had a probability of 34.03% and a draw had a probability of 28.5%.

The most likely scoreline for a Blackburn Rovers win was 0-1 with a probability of 12.03%. The next most likely scorelines for that outcome were 1-2 (7.79%) and 0-2 (7.06%). The likeliest Hull City win was 1-0 (11.32%), while for a drawn scoreline it was 1-1 (13.28%). The actual scoreline of 2-0 was predicted with a 6.3% likelihood.


Previews by email

Click here to get Sports Mole's daily email of previews and predictions for every major game!


Game History

How you voted: Hull City vs Blackburn

Hull City
16.3%
Draw
13.2%
Blackburn Rovers
70.5%
129
Collect / Create New Data
Share this article now:
Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel reacts on January 5, 2022
Read Next:
Saturday's FA Cup predictions including Chelsea vs. Chesterfield
>
Sports Mole Logo
Enter your email address to subscribe to Sports Mole's free daily transfer newsletter! Sent twice a day during the transfer window.
rhs 2.0
Today's games header
Tables header RHS
TeamPWDLFAGDPTS
1Leicester CityLeicester34253670294178
2Leeds UnitedLeeds34226664273772
3Ipswich TownIpswich34219468452372
4Southampton34207765422367
5West Bromwich AlbionWest Brom341681049321756
6Hull City34167115043755
7Norwich CityNorwich34157125951852
8Preston North EndPreston34157124752-552
9Coventry CityCoventry341312951401151
10Sunderland34145154639747
11Watford341111125047344
12Bristol City34128143939044
13Middlesbrough33135154749-244
14Cardiff CityCardiff34135163948-944
15Plymouth ArgylePlymouth341010145357-440
16Blackburn RoversBlackburn34116174860-1239
17Swansea CitySwansea34109154355-1239
18Birmingham CityBirmingham33108153851-1338
19Huddersfield TownHuddersfield34813134055-1537
20Millwall3499163347-1436
21Queens Park RangersQPR3498173245-1335
22Stoke CityStoke3498173148-1735
23Sheffield WednesdaySheff Weds3495202853-2532
24Rotherham UnitedRotherham34310213066-3619

Subscribe to our newsletter


Sports Mole provides in-depth previews and predictions for every match from the biggest leagues and competitions in world football.
Argentina's Lionel Messi kisses the World Cup trophy after collecting the Golden Ball award on December 18, 2022Sign up for our FREE daily preview newsletter direct to your inbox!