Ireland boxer Michael Conlan feels "robbed" by Olympic judges

Conlan: 'I feel cheated by judges'
© Getty Images
Ireland boxer Michael Conlan expresses his unhappiness at the Amateur International Boxing Association following his controversial defeat to Russia's Vladimir Nikitin.

Ireland boxer Michael Conlan has been eliminated from the Olympic Games in Rio after a controversial unanimous decision defeat on Tuesday.

Three judges awarded the verdict in favour of Russia's Vladimir Nikitin in the quarter-final of the men's bantamweight 56kg, despite Conlan's protestations.

The 24-year-old told BBC Sport: "I came for gold and I've been cheated. I'll not do another Olympics. I would advise anybody not to compete for the AIBA (Amateur International Boxing Association).

"At the end of the first round, it had been so easy, so comfortable, I wasn't even out of breath. I said 'I'll win this easy'. But I was told I was down. I had to go to war.

"I fought him at his own game. I pulled back that second round then I outfought him in the last round. I've been robbed of my Olympic dream."

Conlan's contentious defeat comes after a hugely controversial decision in Monday's heavyweight boxing final when another Russian, Evgeny Tishchenko, was given the verdict over Kazakhstan's Vassiliy Levit.

Gold medalist Katie Taylor of Ireland walks to the medal ceremony for the Women's Light (60kg) Boxing final bout on Day 13 of the London 2012 Olympic Games at ExCeL on August 9, 2012
Read Next:
Taylor: 'I should have beaten Potkonen'
>
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole