Nov 4, 2013 at 8.30am UK at ‚ÄčDocklands Stadium, Melbourne
VictoryMelbourne Victory
WellingtonWellington Phoenix
Thompson (8'), Troisi (21', 30')
Geria (24'), Broxham (63'), Troisi (80')
FT(HT: 3-1)
Brockie (36'), Ifill (83')
Fenton (5'), Sigmund (77')

Result: Kevin Muscat secures first win as Melbourne Victory head coach

James Troisi of Atalanta BC in action during the TIM Cup match between Atalanta BC and AC Cesena at Stadio Atleti Azzurri d'Italia on November 28, 2012
© Getty Images
Kevin Muscat's first A-League clash as Melbourne Victory head coach ends in a 3-2 win over Wellington Phoenix.

Melbourne Victory have handed Kevin Muscat his first win as head coach of the A-League outfit by securing a 3-2 victory over Wellington Phoenix.

It was a lively start from Victory as James Troisi surged into the final third and tried to take on Wellington's defence, but there were enough yellow and black shirts to halt Troisi's run and snuff out the midfielder's effort.

Wellington tried to respond a matter of seconds later through Jeremy Brockie, who set up a 20-yard shot towards goal, but he failed to get enough lift on the ball and his chance dragged wide of the post.

At the other end of the field, some build-up play from Victory resulted in a threaded ball to Archie Thompson, who managed to stay onside and curl it into the back of the net with the help of a deflection and give the home side a one-goal lead.

Victory continued to dominate and their pressure eventually paid off courtesy of another surging run from Troisi.

The Wellington back line lost possession in their own half, which allowed Troisi to latch onto the loose ball and drive it into the back of the net.

Troisi managed to get his double by running around the opposing defender and lifting the ball over the top of the keeper, who came off his line, and bounced the ball into the back of the net, giving Victory a comfortable cushion.

Despite being under pressure, Brockie managed to nick a goal back for the visitors, and they were close to getting two on the scoresheet, but Stein Huysegems's strike was disallowed after being ruled offside by the linesman.

In the early stages of the second half, Kosta Barbarouses latched onto a long ball, but his attempt to give the home side a 4-1 lead was thwarted by the defence, and seconds later, Thompson managed to knock the ball into the back of the net; however, he was ruled offside in the process.

Victory had to endure five nervy minutes after Paul Ifill managed to find the back of the net for Wellington, but the home side were able to see out the match and take the win.

Jeronimo Neumann of Adelaide United celebrates a goal with teamates during the round one A-League match against Perth Glory on October 13, 2013
Read Next:
Result: Adelaide United draw with Melbourne Victory
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole