Aug 18, 2001 at 3pm UK at ​King Power Stadium
LeicesterLeicester City
BoltonBolton Wanderers

Akinbiyi (45'), Sinclair (53'), Impey (62'), Rowett (82')
FT(HT: 0-4)
Frandsen (45', 83'), Nolan (15', 41'), Ricketts (33')
Warhurst (28'), Barness (31'), Whitlow (64')

OTD: Bolton Wanderers thrash Leicester City on opening day

West Ham boss Sam Allardyce in the dugout before kick-off during the match against Newcastle on August 24, 2013
© Getty Images
Back on this day in 2001, newly-promoted Bolton Wanderers hit Leicester City for five at Filbert Street.

Having somewhat surprisingly earned promotion to the Premier League via the Division One playoffs in May 2001, many had tipped Bolton Wanderers to return to the second tier at the first time of asking.

Their opening match was viewed as a tough one as well, with Leicester City established within the top flight following their elevation in 1996.

Yet, Sam Allardyce's newly-promoted side proved to be the opening day coupon-busters at Filbert Street with a performance and a result that sent shockwaves across the league.

Hosting Leicester started much the brighter of the two sides, but it was Wanderers that broke the deadlock in the 15th minute. Per Frandsen's cross was met by Kevin Nolan, who was able to loop a header over goalkeeper Tim Flowers and into the far corner of the net.

Then, in the 33rd minute, Michael Ricketts opened up his Premier League account for the season when he fired a low shot beyond the reach of Flowers, before Nolan's second of the afternoon made it 3-0 on the stroke of half-time when he turned in Gudni Bergsson's flicked pass.

The hosts were desperate for the whistle to signify the break in order to regroup, but Bolton scored a fourth goal in the fourth minute of first-half stoppage time. Having created numerous chances, Denmark international Frandsen turned scorer when he found the back of the net from 20 yards out.

As is often the case when one team routs another during the opening 45 minutes, the second half was an anti-climatic affair, with both sides having accepted the outcome.

However, with seven minutes remaining, the away side added further gloss to the scoreline when Frandsen notched his second of the encounter with an almost identical strike to the one that had made it 4-0.

Triumphant manager Allardyce said after the final whistle: "It's a great win for us because we were testing the squad to its full capability because of a few injuries."

Meanwhile, Leicester boss Peter Taylor, who along with his team were jeered off the pitch by the home supporters, added: "To lose your first game when we expected to win is a major disappointment and I'm very shocked."

LEICESTER: Flowers; Sinclair, Rowett, Elliott, Davidson; Impey, Savage, Wise, Izzet; Sturridge, Akinbiyi

BOLTON: Jaaskelainen; Barness, Bergsson, Whitlow, Charlton; Nolan, Warhurst, Frandsen, Gardner, Hansen; Ricketts

David Beckham
Read Next:
Top five opening day matches in the Premier League
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole