Everton boss Roberto Martinez denies making bid for Wigan's James McCarthy

Everton manager Roberto Martinez during the match against West Brom on August 24, 2013
© Getty Images
Roberto Martinez says that Everton have not made a bid for Wigan Athletic midfielder James McCarthy.

Everton manager Roberto Martinez has rejected reports that the club have lodged an offer for Wigan Athletic midfielder James McCarthy.

There had been suggestions that the Toffees had bid for McCarthy, who was signed by Martinez during the Spaniard's time at the DW Stadium.

"There has been no bid made," Martinez told the club's official website. "I think it's quite easy to understand that James is a player I signed at a young age and I've got huge admiration for him, so it doesn't take anyone [much] to create a little bit of a story. But there has been no bid."

Meanwhile, Martinez has claimed that there has been no new contact with Manchester United over Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines.

James McCarthy of Wigan Athletic looks on during the Sky Bet Championship match between Wigan Athletic and Doncaster Rovers at DW Stadium on August 20, 2013
Read Next:
Report: Newcastle, Everton lodge McCarthy bids
>
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole



Tables