Here, Sports Mole rounds up the latest news snippets from across the footballing world, including Aleksandr Golovin's comments on his failed Chelsea move, a growing spat between Antonio Conte and Maurizio Sarri - plus Jurgen Klopp's latest praise for Virgil van Dijk. Scroll down for more!
Conte advises Sarri to "calm down"
Inter Milan boss Antonio Conte has advised his Juventus counterpart Maurizio Sarri to "calm down" amid speculation of an ongoing feud between the two former Chelsea managers. Following Juve's goalless draw with Fiorentina at the weekend, Sarri suggested that hot weather had played a part in them dropping two points, and Conte was subsequently asked about his thoughts on the matter. "I don't want to say anything, otherwise we'll have to start comparing balance sheets and financial resources," he told reporters. "Someone ought to calm down, as he's on the powerful side now."
Berra: 'Hearts have advantage in Edinburgh derby'
Hearts skipper Christophe Berra has backed his side to have the upper hand when they travel to fellow strugglers Hibernian for Sunday's Edinburgh derby. The defender admitted that the Scottish Premiership's basement side have been on "a terrible run", telling the Ladbrokes Social Club Show: "Going to Easter Road will be a tough game but also I know from experience that we have won one and drawn one in the last two games - but they are struggling as well so it's going to be a nervous game for both teams. It's a derby game so hopefully we can cross that white line and let the shackles off and get a result."
Mbappe "very sad" to miss Madrid game
Paris Saint-Germain striker Kylian Mbappe has confirmed his absence from tonight's mouthwatering Champions League tie with Real Madrid due to a hamstring injury. The Frenchman wrote on Twitter: "It's now official, I will not start our European campaign at home against Madrid. I am very sad not to be able to play but I will bring all my support from the stands to the team and I hope to return 100% to still and always give my best."
Kabasele close to new Watford deal
Watford defender Christian Kabasele has confirmed that he is close to agreeing a new contract with the club. The 28-year-old, who has two years left on his current deal, sat out the first three games of the campaign but has featured in the last three and could be set for a regular role under new boss Quique Sanchez Flores. "My wish was always to stay at Watford, and we are close to an agreement on a new contract," he told Voetbal Nieuws. "There were teams that showed interest, but the club did not want to sell me, and therefore my situation quickly became very clear. I want to play here as long as possible and grow with the club."
Klopp hails "world class" Van Dijk
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has admitted that it took some time for Virgil van Dijk to appear on his radar before he signed him from Southampton last year. Speaking to the Liverpool Echo, Klopp recalled: "I cannot say that I watched him for the last six years and thought 'ahh I wait a little bit longer and then I get him' but the two years he played at Southampton before he got injured, that was really incredible. I saw something of him at Celtic, but I didn't see this world-class player, already. I saw a very-good centre-half, but I didn't need one at that time. He has gone from a world-class potential to a world-class player. There's still a step to go but he made this step and he deserves all these awards, that is how it is."
Golovin explains Chelsea snub
Aleksandr Golovin has explained why he rejected interest from Chelsea or Juventus to sign for Monaco from CSKA Moscow last summer. The 23-year-old has admitted that he would have found it too difficult to make the step up to the European heavyweights at that stage of his career, telling Match TV: "I thought it would be hard for me now in a team like Chelsea or Juventus. For me it's the grandees of football. Probably, if I were a football player from Europe, the transition would have been easier. And since I from Russia, in a big club the situation would be complicated by the lack of knowledge of the language."
Ter Stegen hits back at Neuer
Marc-Andre ter Stegen has hit back after Germany teammate Manuel Neuer suggested that the Barcelona stopper should accept being marginalised from the national side. Neuer - undisputed number one under Joachim Low - called for the goalkeepers to "stick together" and 'present as a team' after Ter Stegen voiced his frustration over a lack of game time. Talking to Bild, Ter Stegen responded: "Of course I have something to say. You can not call for competition and expect players who are not playing to be happy about it. You do not have to say anything about my feelings, that's my personal opinion. If you see the last few years as I have behaved, then such statements are inappropriate!"
Veltman had West Ham move blocked
Ajax defender Joel Veltman has revealed that he was courted by West Ham United last summer but the club blocked his exit following the high-profile departures of Frenkie de Jong and Matthijs de Ligt. The 27-year-old told NOS: "Everyone knows that I would like to play abroad again. West Ham United was interested, but there were more clubs. However, Ajax put a stop to it. I was not allowed to leave. I also wanted to leave in 2018, but then I got injured. I started my eighteenth season here, but I'm still fine."body check tags ::