Nov 10, 2013 at 2pm UK at ​ProKit UK Stadium, Bishop's Stortford
Bishop's StortfordBishop's Stortford
NorthamptonNorthampton Town
Prestedge (81')
Fletcher (17'), Baker (85')
FT(HT: 0-0)
Emerton (61'), Norris (67')
Collins (44'), Hackett (91')

Result: Northampton Town see off Bishop's Stortford

Northampton Town manager Aidy Boothroyd gives instructions during the Sky Bet League Two match between Northampton Town and Torquay United at Sixfields Stadium on August 24, 2013
© Getty Images
Bishop's Stortford narrowly lose to Northampton Town in the FA Cup.

Northampton Town have beaten Bishop's Stortford in today's FA Cup first-round match.

The League Two outfit controlled the opening 10 minutes, with Chris Hackett looking particularly dangerous.

Danny Emerton launched in a corner for the Cobblers, but Mathias Doumbe's header was cleared off the line.

Hackett's cross then reached Luke Norris, but his poke at goal was saved by Joe Wright. Norris also dragged a shot wide as the visitors pressed the Blues.

Jacob Blyth was next to threaten and miss with a scuffed shot after he had twisted and turned on the edge of the box.

Bishop's Stortford were struggling to deal with their opponents, and whenever they cleared the ball, it was soon coming back at them.

It was so nearly 1-0 to Aidy Boothroyd's team when Kane Ferdinand's header cannoned off the crossbar and the follow-up was smashed over.

However, Stortford nearly stole an unlikely lead with 22 minutes gone. Cliff Akurang put the ball into the box and Sean Francis was unlucky to see his header hit the crossbar.

Kyle Vassell continued the home side's improvement with a turn and shot that went over.

The chances carried on coming for Northampton, though, and Emerton fizzed one wide from long range. Nevertheless, the hosts' performance gradually improved as the first half drew to a close.

The second half saw Northampton finally take their chances, first through Danny Emerton who struck low into the corner, and then through Norris, who finished well.

However, the home side found a way back into the game when captain Reece Prestedge smashed the ball into the top corner.

They came forward after that, but were unable to force an equaliser.

Northampton Town new signing Luke Norris poses with a shirt during a photo call at Sixfields Stadium on October 18, 2013
Read Next:
Norris joins Northampton on loan
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole