Timothy Bradley: 'Manny Pacquiao controversy in the past'

Timothy Bradley of US celebrates his victory over Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines following their WBO welterweight title match at the MGM Grand Arena on June 9, 2012
© Getty Images
Timothy Bradley says that he has moved on from the controversy that ensued following his split-decision victory over Manny Pacquiao last year.

Ahead of his WBO welterweight title defence against Juan Manuel Marquez on Saturday night, Timothy Bradley has said that the controversy surrounding his win over Manny Pacquiao is now behind him.

Many felt that the 30-year-old from California lost to the Filipino when they fought at the MGM Grand in June of last year.

Bradley had a tough time coping with criticism in the wake of his split-decision victory, but he believes that prevailing in a 12-round war with Ruslan Provodnikov in March has silenced his critics.

"Everybody came after me," Bradley told Sky Sports News. "I got laughed at, death threats, it was a terrible time, my kids got stick at school. I'm passed the Pacquiao thing now, I'm on a new road.

"I want this fight for my legacy. Two hall of fame fighters on my resume. I couldn't believe I took that many punches [against Provodnikov] and I couldn't believe I was still standing after the fight.

"It showed to me what type of fighter I am, the heart and determination. It showed the boxing fans what a tough cookie I am."

Bradley said that he has a lot of respect for Marquez, who knocked Pacquiao out in the sixth round of their fourth bout last year.

He added: "I'm a fan of Marquez, I love his style and has a really smart corner. He's strong, he's a smart fighter and great technician.

"One of the best counter-punchers in the game. It's going to be a tough fight for me in there. It's a very interesting fight and fans don't know who is going to win."

The 40-year-old Mexican will head into the contest with a 55-6-1 record.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. celebrates his unanimous decision victory against Robert Guerrero in their WBC welterweight title bout at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on May 4, 2013
Read Next:
Who is next for Floyd Mayweather?
>
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole



LIVE SCORES VIDEPRINTER
expand