Andy Murray not involved in US Open boycott talks

Murray not involved in US Open boycott talks
© AP Photos
Andy Murray says that he is not involved in talks to boycott the US Open.

Andy Murray has revealed that he is not involved in threats to boycott the 2013 US Open.

Reports in The Times yesterday suggested that a number of players are considering a walkout due to issues regarding prize money.

The same newspaper also hinted that players are unhappy with the final being moved to a Monday and will demand that the schedule is reviewed.

Murray, speaking after his straight-sets win over Gilles Simon in the Australian Open, said that he is aware of the issue, but has not spoken to anyone about boycotting.

"Since the player meeting, I haven't discussed with any of the players what was said there, what the plans are," said Murray. "But I know that the ATP are not particularly happy with the Monday final.

"I know that's an issue because however much revenue they make from having an extra day on their tournament hasn't really [been] reflected in the increase in the prize money.

"That was what the players wanted, was obviously better prize money but not with an extra day to the event. I think that's what they're disappointed with, but I personally haven't spoken with anyone about boycotting the event."

Murray, won won his first Grand Slam at Flushing Meadows last year, will now face Jeremy Chardy for a place in the semi-finals in Melbourne.

Britain's Andy Murray hits a forehand return during his third round match at the Australian Open tennis championship on January 19, 2013
Read Next:
Murray predicts tough Chardy battle
>
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole

Loading ...

Failed to load data.

Login, I already have my ad-free pass
Log in with Facebook to customise Sports Mole
Buy ad-free access (show me the options)
Buy monthly ad-free access for £1.20/month
Buy yearly ad-free access for £12 (2 months free)
Settings - Logout - Manage your account
Settings - Logout - Manage your account