Tom Lewis has said that he is sorry after he was forced to pull out of the Castello Masters in Spain through illness.
The 20-year-old withdrew from the tournament on Friday after he had battled through Thursday's opening round.
"I could have spent a week practising for Shanghai (WGC Champions tournament) but I'd accepted an invite and it would have reflected badly on my behalf if I had pulled out," said Lewis.
"And I didn't want to let Sergio [Garcia] down. He was great to play with and I hope he wins this week.
"I really struggled through my round on Thursday but I hoped with a night's sleep and some medication I would feel better and be able to play. I was gutted to miss the opportunity of playing another round with Sergio and Matteo [Manassero] and apologise to everyone who has taken such good care of me this week."
Lewis claimed his first professional title last week when he won the Portugal Masters.