Kell Brook has revealed that he will undergo an operation on his broken eye socket on Friday.
Earlier this month, Brook suffered a fifth-round stoppage defeat at the hands of Gennady Golovkin, with the bout being brought to an abrupt halt when trainer Dominic Ingle threw in the towel due to Brook's eye injury.
The Sheffield fighter is unlikely to return to the ring until next year, and the IBF welterweight champion has insisted he will not rush his recovery as he targets big fights in 2017.
The 30-year-old told Sky Sports News: "I have an operation this Friday. I've been to see the surgeons and they want to look at every possible method but it seems like I will be having an operation on Friday.
"It's going to be a good few months before I return. It's a break so you are looking at six to eight weeks before you start sparring again. I'm going to make sure that I listen to them and take things slowly rather than rushing into sparring faster than I should.
"I told Dominic Ingle in round two that my eye was broken and that I couldn't see. He could obviously see me trying to refocus my eye and that's when he waved it off.
"I did want to continue because I am a fighter but looking back now in the long run, the doctors have said that if I had carried on getting big shots on the eye, I could have gone blind so it was definitely the right decision."