Nathan Cleverly pulls out of Robin Krasniqi bout with virus

Cleverly pulls out of Krasniqi bout with virus
© PA Photos
Nathan Cleverly pulls out of his WBO world title fight against Robin Krasniqi because of a viral infection.

Nathan Cleverly has pulled out of his WBO world title fight against Robin Krasniqi because of a viral infection.

The 25-year-old Welsh light-heavyweight had been scheduled to defend his belt at London's Royal Albert Hall on April 28.

He said: "I've been unable to train because I've been laid up in bed and there's not enough time to make up what I've missed to make sure I'm fully fit.

"I've taken the advice of my doctor and been told to fully rest before attempting to start training again.

"I'm really disappointed because I was looking forward to being the first fighter to bring boxing back to the Royal Albert Hall in over a decade and the first of the century."

Cleverly, who is unbeaten in 24 fights, will be replaced by Billy Joe Saunders as the headline attraction at the London event.

New boxing generic
Read Next:
Bellew ready for McIntosh test
>
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole

Loading ...

Failed to load data.

Subscribe to our Newsletter


Transfer Talk Daily
Match previews - twice weekly
Morning Briefing (7am UTC)
Ultra close-up image of Kevin De Bruyne [NOT FOR USE IN ARTICLES]Get the latest transfer news, match previews and news direct to your inbox!
Login, I already have my ad-free pass
Log in with Facebook to customise Sports Mole
Buy ad-free access (show me the options)
Buy monthly ad-free access for £1.20/month
Buy yearly ad-free access for £12 (2 months free)
Settings - Logout - Manage your account
Settings - Logout - Manage your account
LIVE SCORES VIDEPRINTER
expand