MX23RW : Wednesday, October 27 07:49:47| >> :600:33574263:33574263:
Dec 17, 2014 at 7.45pm UK at Aggborough Stadium
Worcester City
ScunthorpeScunthorpe United
Geddes (69')
FT(HT: 0-1)
Madden (45')
Scunthorpe win 14-13 on penalties

Result: Scunthorpe United beat Worcester City in epic penalty shootout

Scunthorpe United beat Worcester City 14-13 on penalties to move into the third round of the FA Cup.

Scunthorpe United have progressed into the third round of the FA Cup after beating Worcester City 14-13 in a thrilling penalty shootout at Aggborough tonight.

Sean Geddes cancelled out Paddy Madden's first-half opener in regulation as the clash ended 1-1 on the night, and extra time failed to produce a winner.

Miguel Angel Llera then struck the winning penalty in an epic sudden death that spawned over 30 spot kicks to send the visitors into the next round.

Ellis Deeney of Worcester City looks on as the players of Scunthorpe United celebrate the opening goal during the FA Cup Second Round Replay match between Worcester City and Scunthorpe United at Aggborough Stadium on December 17, 2014© Getty Images

City started well and came close to opening the scoring on 12 minutes when Jordan Murphy flashed a curling effort just over the bar.

Scunthorpe slowly but surely grew into the clash, however, and Madden missed two good chances, the latter of which forced Nathan Vaughan into a smart save with his feet.

Geddes, whose 'rabona' goal against Barrow AFC went viral, almost matched that with another effort, but his angled half-volley flew over the bar on the stroke of half time.

It was not the last action of the half, though, as Madden put Scunthorpe one up shortly before the whistle by watching his glancing header beat Vaughan via a deflection off Ellis Deeney.

The hosts enjoyed plenty of possession throughout the second half but struggled to fashion the clear-cut chances necessary to level proceedings.

Their patience was rewarded on 69 minutes, however, as Geddes collected Daniel Nti's layoff before driving through the heart of Scunthorpe's defence and passing beyond Vaughan.

Carl Heeley's side finished the stronger of both teams and Nti very nearly won it in spectacular fashion with an overhead, but it was stopped by Vaughan.

Both sides cancelled each other out for much of the additional 30 minutes, but second-half substitute Hakeeb Adelakun missed a fine chance for Scunthorpe by side-footing just wide.

After 15 successive successful penalties - including converted efforts from both goalkeepers - Worcester defender Wayne Thomas missed to allow Mark Robins's side the chance for victory.

Llera, who had missed with his first effort, then made no mistake this time as United ultimately downed the Conference side.

ID:194363: cacheID:194363:1false2false3false:QQ:: from db desktop :LenBod:restore:5082:
Restore Data
Share this article now:
Did you know...?
Billy Clarke of Bradford City celebrates scoring the first goal during the FA Cup Second Round football match between Bradford City and Dartford at Coral Windows Stadium, Valley Parade on December 7, 2014
Read Next:
FA Cup roundup: Bradford, Bristol City safely through

rhs 2.0
Todays Game Header Right
3Manchester CityMan City96212041620
4West Ham UnitedWest Ham95221610617
5Brighton & Hove AlbionBrighton943299015
6Tottenham HotspurSpurs9504913-415
7Manchester UnitedMan Utd94231615114
9Leicester CityLeicester94231515014
11Wolverhampton WanderersWolves941499013
13Aston Villa93151315-210
15Crystal Palace91621114-39
17Leeds UnitedLeeds9144816-87
19Newcastle UnitedNewcastle90451120-94
20Norwich CityNorwich9027223-212

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Transfer Talk Daily
Match previews - twice weekly
Morning Briefing (7am UTC)
Ultra close-up image of Kevin De Bruyne [NOT FOR USE IN ARTICLES]Get the latest transfer news, match previews and news direct to your inbox!