Sebastian Coe has said that London's ability to host the 2012 Olympic Games will not be affected by this week's riots.
The Olympic committee were in the capital earlier in the week despite many parts of the city being subjected to rioting and looting.
Football matches have already been disrupted, but Coe believes that London will be ready when the time comes.
"The images that have been beamed around the world have been disfiguring, and as a Londoner I probably find that as perplexing as the next person," Lord Coe told BBC Sport.
"That's not the London I recognise. I am confident that we will have contingency plans in place and be prepared for all eventualities in a year's time - treat it in a way as a test.
"But the 205 national Olympic committees have effectively seen a city, test events and world championships all going ahead under pretty much normal circumstances," he added.
The London Games begin on July 27, 2012.