Sports Mole welcomes speculative applications for part-time reporters to work on busy matchdays in the 2018-19 season.
Part-time news reporters are home-based and paid at a rate of £7.50 per hour on a self-employed basis. Reporters must be able to cover a variety of sports. Availability during busy matchday afternoons on either Saturday or Sunday is a pre-requisite for any application.
Successful applicants will have:
- The ability to write quickly and accurately in accordance with the house style.
- Strong self-subediting skills.
- An interest in sport in general and be comfortable writing about football, cricket, rugby union and tennis, as well as other sports where relevant. Interests in areas outside of the aforementioned - such as US-based sports and boxing - should be specifically noted in your covering letter.
- A fast and reliable home internet connection and access to an alternative connection in the event of the former being unavailable.
- The ability to source and select news suitable for coverage on the site. Access to sports channels, in particular Sky Sports News, is essential.
In general, part-time shifts at Sports Mole last for three to four hours and are allocated on a monthly basis. Allocation in a given month is variable and dependent on availability within the wider team. In general we specifically look for applicants who can work the busy 2pm to 6pm shift on Saturday afternoons, and/or Sunday afternoons and early evening.
Your application should include all of the following:
- A covering letter, explicitly listing your availability for work in a typical week
- Your CV
- Three news stories written in the house style. The stories should be written specifically for the purpose of the application - previous clippings/personal blogs will not be read. The samples should be news stories (not features, not match reports, not result articles) and at least two should be football news stories. Applicants should familiarise themselves with the site's style prior to submitting samples.
- Applications not including all of these components will not be considered or be acknowledged.
Please send complete applications to email@example.com.