FIFA president Sepp Blatter has caused uproar over his latest comments about racism on the pitch, following the Football Association's decision to charge Liverpool striker Luis Suarez over alleged racist remarks.
The 75-year-old is no stranger to sparking controversy, so Sports Mole has picked ten of Blatter's most outlandish quotes that have left everyone scratching their heads.
1. "He should say that this is a game. We are in a game, and at the end of the game, we shake hands, and this can happen, because we have worked so hard against racism and discrimination."
- Blatter's answer to dealing with racist comments during a match.
2. "Let the women play in more feminine clothes like they do in volleyball. They could, for example, have tighter shorts. Female players are pretty, if you excuse me for saying so, and they already have some different rules to men – such as playing with a lighter ball. That decision was taken to create a more female aesthetic, so why not do it in fashion?"
- Advice on how to attract more followers to women's sports.
3. "I think in football there's too much modern slavery in transferring players or buying players here and there, and putting them somewhere."
- Referring to the treatment of Cristiano Ronaldo during the transfer saga between Manchester United and Real Madrid.
4. "Please do not insist on the technology. The day that the referee takes two captains aside to study monitors and see if something is inside the box or outside is the day the spectators will say no, we are not coming to the game."
- Blatter's refusal to introduce video technology into the modern game.
5. "I would say they should refrain from any sexual activities."
- Advising how gay fans should behave during the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, where homosexuality is banned.
6. "I could understand it if it had happened in Africa, but not in Italy."
- Commenting on the match-fixing scandal in Italy.
7. "Listen, this is a special approach in the Anglo-Saxon countries. If this had happened in let's say Latin countries, then I think he would have been applauded."
- Referring to England captain John Terry's alleged affair with ex-teammate Wayne Bridge's girlfriend.
8. "I know myself, I was always a striker. But it's 50 years ago now – but I'm still a little bit of a striker. We tried to dribble, but when we could not go through and someone put his foot there, what do you do? You do a little bit more than you should have done. Is this so terrible? I don't think so. At least it's not so terrible that we should intervene after a match."
- Defending players' decisions to dive during a match.
9. "Every game should have a winner. When you play cards or any other game, there's always a winner and a loser. We should have the courage to introduce a final decision in every game of football."
- Considering a ban on draws.
10. "The guardians of the rules are in agreement to lengthen the goals by the diameter of two balls, around 50cm, and to increase the height by the diameter of one ball."
- A proposal to increase the distance between goalposts.