The Kansas City Chiefs have released running back Kareem Hunt after video footage emerged which appeared to show him in an altercation with a woman in a hotel corridor.
In a statement, the team said he would be released "immediately" and accused the NFL's reigning rushing champion of not being truthful when members of the management team spoke to him about the incident earlier this year.
The NFL had earlier announced that Hunt had been placed on the commissioner exempt list, which banned him from practising as well as playing in or attending games.
Footage of the incident, said to have taken place on February 10 at a hotel in Cleveland, was published online on Friday. According to reports, police were called to the scene but no charges were filed.
— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) December 1, 2018
The Chiefs said: "Earlier this year, we were made aware of an incident involving running back Kareem Hunt.
"At that time, the National Football League and law enforcement initiated investigations into the issue.
"As part of our internal discussions with Kareem, several members of our management team spoke directly to him. Kareem was not truthful in those discussions. The video released today confirms that fact.
"We are releasing Kareem immediately."
In a statement to ESPN, Hunt said he wanted to "apologise for my actions", adding: "I deeply regret what I did. I hope to move on from this."
The 23-year-old was drafted by the Chiefs in the third round of the 2017 Draft.