Jan 25, 2015 at 3.15pm UK
Sale Sharks
Zebo (1', 68'), Earls (43'), Try (53'), Howard (66'), Conway (70', 80'), O'Donnell (74'), Williams (77')
Arscott (11')

Result: Munster end European campaign on a high with convincing Sale Sharks victory

Munster score eight second-half tries on their way to easing past Sale Sharks 65-10 at the Stade Michelin in their last European Rugby Champions Cup fixture.

Munster have ended their European Rugby Champions Cup campaign on a positive note having thrashed Sale Sharks 65-10 at a sold-out Stade Michelin this evening, racking up eight tries in a scintillating second-half performance.

There was just one minute on the clock when the home side crossed over for the game's opening try, with Simon Zebo the man to touch down on the right wing.

Munster continued their early dominance by earning a couple of penalties which Ian Keatley successfully kicked over, although that was sandwiched by Nick Macleod splitting the sticks with a penalty of his own.

A fine individual try from Tom Arscott saw Sale claw the deficit back, and when Macleod kicked the extras the teams were then separated by just five points.

Matters turned worse for the Irish outfit moments later when Andrew Conway was issued a yellow card for not rolling away at a maul, although Munster remained solid at the back to deny their opponents crossing over in their next attacking move.

Shortly before the break a small scuffle ensued which forced the referee to speak to both captains on the field, although tempers soon cooled down.

It was the Red Army who proved their added class in the second half, though, racking up an array of tries to ensure that the points would swing their way in some style.

Keith Earls found the whitewash at the end of a brilliant individual run just moments after the restart, and when a further penalty try was awarded on 54 minutes the contest was as good as over.

Pat Howard, Zebo, Conway and Tommy O'Donnell all crossed over within the space of eight minutes to pile the pressure on a winless Sharks side, who were simply looking for full time at this stage.

Next to join the party was Duncan Williams who made the most of some lax defending, and Conway was then able to complete his double in the dying stages with his side's ninth try of the contest, ensuring that Munster have something to smile about despite failing to progress into the quarter-finals.

Ian Keatley of Munster celebrates withJJ Hanrahan after kicking the match winning drop goal during the European Rugby Champions Cup match between Sale Sharks and Munster at AJ Bell Stadium on October 18, 2014
Read Next:
Result: Late Munster drop goal defeats Sale
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole

Loading ...

Failed to load data.

Login, I already have my ad-free pass
Log in with Facebook to customise Sports Mole
Buy ad-free access (show me the options)
Buy monthly ad-free access for £1.20/month
Buy yearly ad-free access for £12 (2 months free)
Settings - Logout - Manage your account
Settings - Logout - Manage your account