Sep 18, 2014 at 8pm UK at ​DW Stadium
Wigan Warriors
HuddersfieldHuddersfield Giants
Charnley (23', 58'), Smith (25'), Clubb (33'), Farrell (35'), Tomkins (47'), Sarginson (51'), Bowen (54'), O'Loughlin (64'), Burgess (73')
Cudjoe (42')

Result: Wigan Warriors thrash Huddersfield Giants to close in on Grand Final

Super League champions Wigan Warriors annihilate Huddersfield Giants 57-4 to move one game away from the Grand Final.

Wigan Warriors have moved within 80 minutes of the Super League Grand Final after thumping Huddersfield Giants 57-4 tonight.

Matty Smith bagged no fewer than 21 of those points - including one try and eight conversions - as the reigning Super League champions flashed their credentials in ruthless fashion.

Tries from Josh Charnley, Smith, Tony Clubb and Liam Farrell helped Shaun Wane's side into a commanding 24-0 lead at the break.

The Giants started the second half brightly and threatened to get back into it when Leroy Cudjoe touched down within two minutes of the restart.

It was not to be the foundations of miraculous comeback, however, as further tries followed from Joel Tomkins, Dan Sarginson and Matthew Bowen, after which Smith missed his first kick of the night.

Not content with their 42-4 lead, the Warriors continued in the same vein and Charnley soon added another on 58 minutes, before Sean O'Loughlin and Joe Burgess capped a fine win for the defending champs.

Joe Burgess of Wigan celebrates with team-mates after scoring a try during the Super League match between St Helens and Wigan Warriors at Langtree Park on April 18, 2014
Read Next:
Result: Wigan comeback stuns Warrington Wolves
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole

Loading ...

Failed to load data.

Login, I already have my ad-free pass
Log in with Facebook to customise Sports Mole
Buy ad-free access (show me the options)
Buy monthly ad-free access for £1.20/month
Buy yearly ad-free access for £12 (2 months free)
Settings - Logout - Manage your account
Settings - Logout - Manage your account