Result: Cardiff City 1-0 Crystal Palace (agg 1-1, pen 3-1)

Result: Cardiff 1-0 Palace (agg 1-1, pen 3-1)
© PA Photos
Cardiff City make their way through to the Carling Cup final after beating Crystal Palace on penalties.

Goalkeeper Tom Heaton was the Cardiff City hero this evening, saving two spot kicks as the Bluebirds booked their place in the Carling Cup final with victory over Crystal Palace.

With the score at 1-1 on aggregate after extra time, City held their nerve to beat the Eagles 3-1 on penalties. Palace's goalscorer from the first leg, Anthony Gardner, was at fault for Cardiff's opening goal, which came after just seven minutes.

The former Spurs and England centre-half headed Don Cowie's low cross past Julian Speroni and into his own net. With the tie level on aggregate, the Bluebirds were the more adventurous side and threatened to take the lead through Kenny Miller. The Scotland international first dragged a shot wide when through on goal and was then denied by the post when he shot cleverly on the turn.

Palace failed to really test Heaton but were nearly gifted an opportunity to regain their advantage when Aron Gunnarson dragged down Chris Martin in the box. Referee Howard Webb opted not to award the Eagles a penalty and then angered the visitors further by sending off their skipper, Paddy McCarthy for a second bookable offence.

The defender was shown a yellow card shortly into the second period for a foul on Kenny Miller and again for a tackle from behind on the same player fourteen minutes from time

Despite their man disadvantage, Palace hung on to force the tie into extra time.

Both sides had chances to win the game in the additional thirty minutes, with Peter Whittingham going close for the Bluebirds with a deflected effort while Gunnarson struck the bar with a header.

When 210 minutes could not separate the teams, the tie went to penalties with both sides missing their first spot kicks.

Miller sent his effort over the bar before Heaton saved Jermaine Easter's strike. Craig Conway netted Cardiff's second kick before Heaton dived to his left to deny Sean Scannell.

The Bluebirds scored their next two spot kicks and when Jonathan Parr blasted wide, the Welsh outfit secured a trip to Wembley.

Malky Mackay's side will face either Liverpool or Manchester City in the final.

Malky Mackay
Read Next:
Team News: Three changes for Cardiff City
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole

Loading ...

Failed to load data.

1Wolverhampton WanderersWolves27195350203062
2Derby CountyDerby27157544232152
3Cardiff CityCardiff27155740251550
4Aston Villa27138639241547
5Bristol City2813874033747
6Sheffield UnitedSheff Utd27134104031943
7Leeds UnitedLeeds27134103729843
10Preston North EndPreston27101163127441
12Norwich CityNorwich28117102831-340
13Ipswich TownIpswich27123124039139
14Queens Park RangersQPR2789103137-633
15Nottingham ForestNott'm Forest27102153343-1032
17Sheffield WednesdaySheff Weds27710103034-431
20Hull City27510123944-525
21Bolton WanderersBolton2767142545-2025
22Burton Albion2766152146-2524
23Birmingham CityBirmingham2765161538-2323
Login, I already have my ad-free pass
Log in with Facebook to customise Sports Mole
Buy ad-free access (show me the options)
Buy monthly ad-free access for £1.20/month
Buy yearly ad-free access for £12 (2 months free)
Settings - Logout - Manage your account
Settings - Logout - Manage your account