Oct 24, 2014 at 10am UK at ​Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Brisbane RoarBrisbane Roar
Sydney FCSydney FC

Lustica (51'), Brattan (62')
FT(HT: 0-1)
Janko (27'), Dimitrijevic (53')
Ibini (17'), Janjetovic (75')

Result: Sydney FC punish Brisbane Roar as holders suffer third consecutive defeat

Sydney FC inflict Brisbane Roar's third consecutive defeat of the A-League season by securing a 2-0 victory.

Reigning A-League champions Brisbane Roar have suffered their third defeat of the new campaign in the form of a 2-0 loss to Sydney FC.

Brisbane were rattled in the early stages of the encounter when Matt Smith was forced to clear off the line to deny Marc Janko the opening goal.

Marc Janko of Sydney is congratulated by team mates after scoring a goal during the round three A-League match between Brisbane Roar and Sydney FC at Suncorp Stadium on October 24, 2014© Getty Images

Janko latched back on to the ball to attempt a follow-up shot, but his effort flew over the bar.

Sydney created a number of chances in the first half, one of which involved Janko yet again after the ball was cut back to him in the penalty area, but two Brisbane defenders closed him down to snuff out the danger.

In the 27th minute, Sydney broke the deadlock through Janko, who received the ball halfway between the centre circle and the penalty area and after controlling the ball with his chest, he unleashed a shot which bounced into the back of the net with the goalkeeper off his line.

Brisbane searched for the equaliser, but struggled to create chances, with the biggest falling to Dimitri Petratos, who struck a first-time effort that was easily saved.

Sydney came close to doubling their lead in the opening seconds of the second half when Janko attempted a left-foot volley, but the ball sailed over the bar.

Brisbane tried to ramp up their attack, but they were dealt a sucker-punch when Milos Dimitrijevic fired the ball over goalkeeper Jamie Young to give the visitors a two-goal cushion.

Brisbane had the majority of possession as the half went on, but little threat was created from the home side as another effort from Petratos missed the target.

Sydney looked as though they were beginning to tire as the match went on, which opened up opportunities for the hosts, one of which came from Petratos yet again, who launched a header towards goal from Shane Stefanutto's cross, but his effort went over the bar.

Brisbane's attempts to grab a late comeback eventually came to nothing as Sydney were able to hold on to their lead to take maximum points.

Phil Stubbins the assistant coach of United celebrates winning the A-League Preliminary Final match between Adelaide United and the Queensland Roar at Hindmarsh Stadium on February 21, 2009
Read Next:
Result: Champions Brisbane Roar lose opener
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole

Loading ...

Failed to load data.

Login, I already have my ad-free pass
Log in with Facebook to customise Sports Mole
Buy ad-free access (show me the options)
Buy monthly ad-free access for £1.20/month
Buy yearly ad-free access for £12 (2 months free)
Settings - Logout - Manage your account
Settings - Logout - Manage your account