Roger Federer to take two-month break

Roger Federer waves to the crowd after his fourth round victory over Milos Raonic at the Australian Open tennis championship on January 21, 2013
© AP Photos
Roger Federer will take a two-month break from tennis after next month's Indian Wells tournament to spend time with his family as well as prepare for the clay court season.

Roger Federer has revealed that he will take a two-month break from competitive tennis, following the Indian Wells tournament next month.

The 31-year-old has said that he wants to spend more time with his family, while also being better prepared for the clay court season when he returns at the Madrid Open.

The Swiss insisted that it is not a sign of impending retirement, but will instead help him to prolong his career.

"The last few years have been really tricky in terms of my practice schedule, especially through an Olympic year [2012]," Federer told reporters ahead of the Dubai championships. "This year is totally different. Family is very important, so I also want to spend quality time with them.

"I can't play a year like I did last year every single season because that isn't the point I'm at in my career. I'm not 22 where I have to play 25-30 tournaments a year. [This way] I'll be really ready for the tournaments I do enter.

"I'm trying to be smart with my scheduling because I'm in a totally different situation to [Rafael Nadal, Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic]. They are right in their prime."

Federer is likely to take a holiday with his family before spending several weeks practising on the clay courts at home in Switzerland.

Britain's Andy Murray wipes sweat from his forehead during the men's final of the Australian Open tennis championship on January 26, 2013
Read Next:
Murray: 'Tough to become number one'
>
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole