Ex-Newcastle United player David Eatock claims he was sexually abused

Former Newcastle United footballer David Eatock claims that he was sexually abused by coach George Ormond between the ages of 18 and 21.

Former Newcastle United footballer David Eatock has claimed that he was sexually abused by coach George Ormond between the ages of 18 and 21.

Eatock, now 40, has filed a complaint to the police after a number of former professionals came forward to allege that they were victims of similar crimes during their youth.

The ex-sportsman's career ended at the age of 21 due to a knee injury, but in the years before he was allegedly groomed by Ormond, who was jailed for six years in 2002 for assaulting seven boys.

In an interview with the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire show, Eatock said: "I was an adult, but really just a boy. I never had reason to see Ormond, but he sought me out. I trained with the main team, and Ormond was a youth team coach.

"He'd seen me previously when I was at another club and had scored a hat-trick. He told me I'd make a fantastic player, and he'd keep an eye on me, so when I went to Newcastle he sought me out."

Eatock, who was signed by Kevin Keegan at Newcastle, revealed that Ormond would visit his guest house "about once a month".

"He invited himself back to my guest house," said Eatock. "Within moments, he unzipped his pants and started masturbating. He'd take me out for a drink. He'd get me so drunk I'd be sick, and he'd talk about sex and my penis."

Multiple police forces across the country are investigating claims of historic sexual abuse in youth football systems, while the NSPCC's hotline to support victims received 860 calls in its first week.

Newcastle United manager Rafael Benitez on March 20, 2016
Read Next:
Keegan tips Benitez to keep Newcastle up
>