Hillsborough inquests: 'Police statements amended following disaster'

A Liverpool football club supporter looks at floral tributes and memorabilia ahead of a memorial service to mark the twentieth anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster at Anfield in Liverpool, north-west England on April 15, 2009
© Getty Images
A jury at the new Hillsborough inquests hear that a large number of police statements were amended in order to remove negative comments about senior officers.

A large number of police statements were amended during the aftermath of the 1989 Hillsborough disaster, a jury has heard.

Fresh inquests into the tragedy, which claimed the lives of 96 Liverpool supporters during an FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest, began in Warrington this week.

Today, Lord Justice Goldring revealed that a number of police accounts were amended in order to remove negative comments about senior officers.

It was revealed at Birchwood Park today that South Yorkshire Police officers were told to write their statements on paper, which then underwent a review process.

The jury were told that they would have to consider whether these acts were carried out in order to deflect criticism from the force or place blame onto the fans.

An original 'accidental' inquest verdict was quashed by the High Court after an independent panel released a report suggesting that there had been a police cover-up following the disaster almost 25 years ago.

The victims died following a crush in the Leppings Lane end at the Hillsborough Stadium.

Michael Carrick of Manchester United in action during the Rio Ferdinand Testimonial Match between Manchester United and Sevilla at Old Trafford on August 9, 2013
Read Next:
Carrick responds to jibe from Liverpool fan
>
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole