Karen Stupples loses sponsorship deal

Karen Stupples plays a shot during the LPGA Sybase Match Play Championship on May 17, 2012
© AP Photos
English golfer Karen Stupples is told that her sponsorship deal with manufacturer Wilson will not be renewed in 2013.

Karen Stupples has lost her sponsorship deal with manufacturer Wilson.

The 39-year-old English golfer, who had been using their clubs for the past two seasons, has been informed that her current contract will not be renewed.

"Just got word from @WilsonGolf that they no longer want to market to women...so they are done with me," she tweeted.

The news comes just three weeks before Stupples is due to participate in her first event of the 2013 LPGA season.

"I don't have a problem with them changing their strategy," she told BBC Sport. "What I don't like is that they have left it so late.

"It gives me very little chance to try out other equipment or to go to other companies because at this stage of the game everybody is set. They've spent all the dollars that they have.

"If I go looking for a deal now, they'll just say the budget has already been spent."

Stupples's first tournament will be the Australian Open in February.

Alison Nicholas
Read Next:
Result: Europe win Solheim Cup
>
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole