Sep 20, 2014 at 12.15pm UK at ​Vicarage Road
Cathcart (83')
Tozser (68'), Forestieri (85')
FT(HT: 0-0)
Arter (63')
Cook (67'), Surman (68'), Arter (70'), Wilson (87'), Elphick (91')

Result: Late Craig Cathcart goal earns Watford draw with Bournemouth

A general view of Vicarage Road, home of Watford on May 4, 2013
© Getty Images
Craig Cathcart cancels out a second-half goal from Harry Ater to earn Watford a 1-1 draw with Bournemouth in the Championship.

Watford needed a late equaliser from Craig Cathcart to secure a 1-1 draw with Bournemouth at Vicarage Road in the Championship this afternoon.

Matt Ritchie had a chance to open the scoring for the Cherries inside the first minute of the match, but his half-volley was dragged just wide.

The visitors had another opportunity just moments later when Callum Wilson was pulled down by Gabriel Tamas in the box, but Ian Harte fired wide from the resulting penalty.

Newly-signed keeper Artur Boruc came under pressure on his Cherries debut as Matej Vydra tried to force the ball in from a Lloyd Dyer cross, before the striker set up Daniel Pudil for a volley later in the half.

Bournemouth thought that they had broken the deadlock at the start of the second half when Wilson tapped in from a rebound, but his finish was chalked off for offside.

Eddie Howe's men continued to create the better of the chances, with Junior Stanislas twice missing the target, and they finally managed to take the lead when Harry Arter converted a low drive from the edge of the box with just over an hour played.

Fernando Forestieri came off the bench as Watford tried to get a goal back, but the forward could only fire wide with a long-range effort.

The hosts did manage to get back on level terms inside the final 10 minutes, though, as Cathcart blasted the ball in from close range following a free kick.

Watford could have won it in the final moments when Odion Ighalo tried to smash home the winner after collecting a pass from Forestieri, but Boruc managed to make the save.

Ian Harte of Bournemouth attacks during the Capital One Cup First Round match between AFC Bournemouth and Portsmouth at The Goldsands Stadium on August 06, 2013
Read Next:
Half-Time Report: Missed penalty leaves Bournemouth level
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole