Mar 31, 2014 at 8pm UK at ​Stadium of Light
West HamWest Ham United
Johnson (65')
Alonso (73'), Wickham (75')
FT(HT: 0-1)
Carroll (9'), Diame (50')
Noble (3'), Nolan (67'), Reid (88'), Adrian (90')

Result: West Ham United edge past Sunderland

Sunderland's Premier League survival hopes take a huge blow as they fall to a 2-1 defeat at home to West Ham this evening.

Sunderland's survival hopes have taken another blow as they made it seven games without a win with a 2-1 loss at home to West Ham United this evening.

The hosts came close to taking the lead after just two minutes when Phil Bardsley's cross almost crept in at the far post, whistling just wide.

Andy Carroll of West Ham celebrates after scoring the opening goal during the Barclays Premier League match between Sunderland and West Ham United at the Stadium of Light on March 31, 2014© Getty Images

It was West Ham who broke the deadlock, however, as Andy Carroll rose highest inside the box to nod Mark Noble's corner past a helpless Vito Mannone.

Sunderland had a great chance to equalise within three minutes of going behind when Ki Sung-Yeung's shot deflected into the path of Lee Cattermole, who could only send a weak shot straight at the keeper despite having time and space.

The visitors came close to doubling their lead in the 19th minute as Noble fed the ball to Matthew Taylor, who squeezed a shot narrowly past the post.

The Black Cats began the second half brightly, with Connor Wickham dragging a shot just wide moments after seeing his initial effort well blocked.

However, the Hammers were soon two up as a long free kick was chested down by Carroll for Mohamed Diame, whose shot from the edge of the box deflected past Mannone.

Mohamed Diame of West Ham celebrates with teammate Mark Noble after scoring his team's second goal during the Barclays Premier League match between Sunderland and West Ham United at the Stadium of Light on March 31, 2014© Getty Images

It should have been game over shortly after the hour mark as Stewart Downing raced through on goal, but he saw his shot well saved with only the keeper to beat.

Sunderland took full advantage of that layoff, pulling a goal back just four minutes later as Craig Gardner fed a pass through to fellow substitute Adam Johnson, who curled his effort past Adrian and into the far corner.

They almost completed a quickfire comeback in the 68th minute as Ki's shot was fumbled by Adrian, who just about recovered in time to beat Wickham to the rebound.

The hosts threatened again two minutes later as Johnson picked out Fabio Borini inside the box, but the loanee striker could only slice his shot into the side-netting.

Sunderland continued to push for an equaliser in the closing stages and came close to getting it when a short corner was eventually rolled across the edge of the box for Marcos Alonso, who hammered a shot over the bar.

They had one last chance in stoppage time of the second half as Ignacio Scocco nodded over from Alonso's cross, but they couldn't conjure up a valuable equaliser, leaving Gus Poyet's men still four points from safety.

Fabio Borini of Sunderland celebrates scoring the opening goal during the Capital One Cup Final between Manchester City and Sunderland at Wembley Stadium on March 2, 2014
Read Next:
Team News: Borini returns for Sunderland
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole