Apr 19, 2014 at 3pm UK at ​Cardiff City Stadium
CardiffCardiff City
StokeStoke City
Whittingham (51' pen.)
Mutch (66'), Cala (74')
FT(HT: 0-1)
Arnautovic (45' pen.)
Odemwingie (48'), Nzonzi (52'), Crouch (85')

Result: Cardiff City hang on for a point

David Marshall the goalkeeper of Cardiff City dives the wrong way as Marko Arnautovic of Stoke City scores the opening goal from a penalty during the Barclays Premier League match between Cardiff City and Stoke City at the Cardiff City Stadium on April 19
© Getty Images
Cardiff City hang on for a 1-1 draw against Stoke City as David Marshall makes several late saves to keep the scores level.

A penalty a piece has ensured that Stoke City and Cardiff City earn a point each after today's 1-1 draw in the Premier League.

The result means that Cardiff remain several points adrift of safety, although it could have been worse as David Marshall made a string of second-half saves.

Cardiff enjoyed a very good start as Mats Daehli got involved early on and created a good chance for Jordon Mutch, but his effort was comfortably saved.

Stoke improved as the half wore on and threatened on the counter-attack through Peter Odemwingie and Stephen Ireland. They then started to control the game before being given a great chance to take the lead from the penalty spot.

Howard Webb decided that Kim Bo-Kyung fouled Odemwingie when challenging for a header, and Marko Arnautovic stepped up to fire the visitors ahead on the stroke of half time.

Shortly after half time Webb levelled the penalty count. Frazier Campbell just got to the ball ahead of Steven Nzonzi and was subsequently brought down. Peter Whittingham took the spot kick and fired straight down the middle as Asmir Begovic dived.

Moments later the hosts thought that they had taken the lead. Begovic saved twice from Steven Caulker before Cala nodded the ball in from close range, only to be denied by the assistant referee's flag.

Both teams defended resolutely after that as Stoke quietened the home crowd and took the sting out of the game, before almost nicking all three points in the closing minutes as Odemwingie cut in from the right and saw his effort tipped wide by Marshall.

Marshall made another important stop in the final minute before Jonathan Walters hit the cross as Cardiff hung on for a point.

Stoke City's Welsh manager Mark Hughes attends the English Premier League football match between Stoke City and Newcastle United at the Britannia Stadium in Stoke on Trent on April 12, 2014
Read Next:
Half-Time Report: Arnautovic penalty puts Stoke ahead
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole

Premier League
League One
League Two
National League
Scottish Premiership
Scottish Championship
Scottish League One
Scottish League Two
La Liga
Serie A
Ligue 1
Belgian Pro League
Greek Superleague
Russian Premier League
Turkish Super Lig