Jan 25, 2014 at 3pm UK at ​Roots Hall
SouthendSouthend United
Hull City

Corr (3'), Thompson (40'), Woodrow (87')
FT(HT: 0-0)
Fryatt (63', 90')
Faye (22'), Rosenior (48')

Result: Matty Fryatt brace enough for Hull City against Southend United

A Matty Fryatt brace sees Hull City beat Southend United in their fourth-round FA Cup match.

Hull City have progressed to the next round of the FA Cup with a hard-fought win against Southend United.

Barry Corr got an early booking for a late lunge on Yannick Sagbo, but the first chance of the match went to Hull, although David Meyler lashed a shot over the bar from the edge of the box.

Ben Coker of Southend is challenged by George Boyd of Hull City during the FA Cup fourth round match between Southend United and Hull City at Roots Hall on January 25, 2014© Getty Images

Despite some decent movement and the occasional attack, there was very little goal-mouth action in the opening 20 minutes.

However, Corr shrugged off his marker before sending a header towards the top corner. It appeared to be going in, but Steve Harper showed great reflexes to tip the ball over the bar.

George Boyd then beat the offside trap with a smart run and squared a pass to Danny Graham, who had just the goalkeeper to beat. His shot was poor, though, and was easily held.

The second half started with a bang and Michael Timlin powered a shot at goal from 35 yards, but it came back off the underside of the bar.

Graham scuffed a shot that was easily saved, and then Meyler saw his effort tipped wide. However, the Tigers soon took the lead.

Hull City players celebrate after forward Matty Fryatt scored during the English FA Cup fourth round football match against Southend United on January 25, 2014© Getty Images

Meyler moved forwards and picked out Matty Fryatt, who beat two challenges before slotting the ball in. The Shrimpers responded well, but struggled to force Harper into any real action.

With three minutes of normal time remaining, Corr had a great chance to equalise, but hammered the ball over from 12 yards following a scramble in the box, and Fryatt then found the roof of the net with just seconds remaining to confirm the win.

Opposing managers Phil Brown of Southend and Steve Bruce of Hull greet each other prior to kickoff during the FA Cup fourth round match on January 25, 2014
Read Next:
Half-Time Report: Goalless at Roots Hall
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole