Harry Redknapp reveals failed Christopher Samba bid

New QPR signing Christopher Samba makes his debut against Norwich on February 2, 2013
© PA Photos
Queens Park Rangers manager Harry Redknapp reveals that the club turned down a "massive offer" for Christopher Samba last week.

Queens Park Rangers manager Harry Redknapp has revealed that the club recently turned down a "massive offer" for Christopher Samba.

The defender joined the Premier League strugglers from Anzhi Makhachkala on transfer deadline day in a deal worth around £10m.

Another Russian side, believed to be Zenit St Petersburg, tried to sign the 28-year-old last week before the end of the transfer window in Russia.

However, chairman Tony Fernandes made the decision to keep hold of the centre-back as QPR battle against relegation.

"We had an offer for Samba, right on the deadline and the chairman turned it down," Sky Sports News quotes Redknapp as saying.

"We had an offer of more money than what we paid for Samba. The chairman had a massive offer for him to go back to Russia.

"I left it to the chairman. He came back and said he had turned it down and said 'get on with it'."

QPR moved to within four points of safety on Saturday thanks to a 2-1 win at Southampton.

QPR chairman Tony Fernandes before kickoff at Loftus Road
Read Next:
Fernandes admits transfer window "gamble"
>
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole



Tables